Drag Courses on Dashboard

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I would like to be able to rearrange the layout of the courses on my dashboard by clicking and dragging them into a different order.  I may want to order them alphabetically, by the way they fall in my schedule, those that require the most time and/or effort, etc.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15947 .

Featured Community Contribution:  James Jones

I've written a script that will allow people to sort their Dashboard Course Card list using drag and drop. It can be installed by the individual user or by a Canvas Admin at the institution level.

Sorting Dashboard Course Cards

It currently does not work with the Canvas Apps.

45 Comments
fcurry1
Community Contributor

This would be a very nice feature.

Even more important is the ability to handle extra credit.  It is inexcusable that there is no way to handle extra credit in an LMS--this could be fixed with a simple flag, or just letting instructors create assignments worth a negative number of points possible.

Please get on these basic features.  With the income from a major contract with CA it should not be difficult to fix these things---even if that was the only source of income Canvas had.  These are not major structural changes that should take years or even months to fix. 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@fcurry1 ​, Canvas does have extra credit. You can create a new assignment make it worth zero points and then give students as many extra credit points you want For the assignment. These points will all count as extra credit. You can also add additional points to an assignment to give extr credit - ex: student goes above and beyond so you give them 15 out of 10 points possible. The 5 extra points are extr credit.

The guide below explains more of this in detail:

How do I give extra credit in a course?

fcurry1
Community Contributor

But there appears to be no easy way to do this with quizzes.  If a quiz is worth points, you cannot make some questions worth extra credit.  Nor can I have a quiz worth a certain number of extra credit points. 

I have a mandatory quiz that students must pass.  It is also worth extra credit.  It is basically a quiz on course policy.  I need it to be worth points so I can force canvas to say "Must score at least a 5 to move on."  I want it to be worth extra credit.  There seems to be no way to do this unless I want to make it worth 5 points, then set the value to 0 and regrade every single quiz manually.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Unfortunately you are correct about the extra credit quiz. There was a work around that worked up until a couple of months ago, but since then the only thing to do is what you're already doing.

Yet, I've heard extra credit is coming with the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​.

snorton
Community Novice

Thanks.  I would like to be able to re-arrange the course cards on the dashboard, to have the ones I use most in the top row.

Susan Norton

Faculty Assistant, HLS 

dtheriault
Community Contributor

Nicknames re-ordering by alpha or even numbers would seem like an easier coding solution. It would be super helpful. I could even reorder them by which period they are in a HS setting.  @lbrem ​

dtheriault
Community Contributor

Any update on this? Even an alpha or number order would be useful. If it was by nickname the instructor could control the order.

James
Community Champion

I've written a script that will allow people to sort their Dashboard Course Card list using drag and drop. It can be installed by the individual user or by a Canvas Admin at the institution level.

Sorting Dashboard Course Cards

It currently does not work with the Canvas Apps.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
tdevreede
Community Novice

This is not only an useful feature, it is very important. Not able to order according to our needs makes accessing the courses on Canvas inefficient.