Drag Courses on Dashboard

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I would like to be able to rearrange the layout of the courses on my dashboard by clicking and dragging them into a different order.  I may want to order them alphabetically, by the way they fall in my schedule, those that require the most time and/or effort, etc.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15947 .

Featured Community Contribution:  James Jones

I've written a script that will allow people to sort their Dashboard Course Card list using drag and drop. It can be installed by the individual user or by a Canvas Admin at the institution level.

Sorting Dashboard Course Cards

It currently does not work with the Canvas Apps.

45 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Have you tried out the Canvancement by  @James ‌ called Sorting Dashboard Course Cards?  It's pretty slick.  Smiley Happy

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

Hi!  I read a little about it.    I'm more interested in Canvas making this a global fix rather than all of us manually adding script.  Also, it sounds like scripts can stop working when there are updates to browsers and such, and honestly, as easy as it sounds, I'm not at a level to try to fix script when it breaks.     I'm glad it works for others!  But for me, I want the product updated.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

That would be nice.  However, as noted at the top of this Feature Idea, it's been put in the "Product Radar" stage which means that Instructure won't be able to get to this in the near future based on other projects and priorities they currently have on their schedule...though they are aware of the need.  If you are an admin, you can add this to your global JavaScript file, and then it's done (Yes, you may have to check Beta every three weeks to make sure nothing breaks...though I can tell you that we've had James' Canvancement implemented on our environment almost since he released it, and we haven't had any issues.)  Or, if you aren't an admin, maybe talk to the person who is at your school to see what they have to say about adding it.  When James' Canvancement is added at the account level, then it will apply to everyone at your school.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Idea is currently in development
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2018-12-08) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@jcrawford  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as, sbenjamin Thank You ,  @hzullo  Thank You , A00274597 Thank You ,  @mbartesaghi  Thank You ,  @shahr  Thank You , dtheriault Thank You , hskinner Thank You ,  @Chris_Hofer  Thank You ,  @lbrem  Thank You ,  @fcurry1  Thank You ,  @kona  Thank You ,  @snorton  Thank You ,  @James  Thank You , tdevreede Thank You , peter.vanduffel Thank You ,  @jbrady2  Thank You , &  @Hildi_Pardo  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

mbartesaghi
Community Novice

I have no clue what this means and get an error message when I click on my name.

Mariaelena Bartesaghi, Ph.D.

Associate Professor, Communication

University of South Florida

CIS 1040, 4202 E. Fowler Ave

Tampa, FL 33620

Editor-in-Chief

Qualitative Research in Medicine and Healthcare

http://pagepressjournals.org/index.php/qrmh/index

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

Hi  @mbartesaghi ‌!   It's just a thank you to each of us who contributed to this idea which is now developed!  You contributed back in January saying, "Please please do this. the courses on dashboard should be the onesI am currently teaching. PLEASE change this."     Next weekend we will all see this feature in our Canvas instances, and I know so many teachers and students will be so happy!  Congratulations for being a part of the Canvas Community!

mbartesaghi
Community Novice

Oh gosh! Thank you!

Mariaelena Bartesaghi, Ph.D.

Associate Professor, Communication

University of South Florida

CIS 1040, 4202 E. Fowler Ave

Tampa, FL 33620

Editor-in-Chief

Qualitative Research in Medicine and Healthcare

http://pagepressjournals.org/index.php/qrmh/index

snorton
Community Novice

Hi.  This is great.  Thanks so much.  However, I've been trying it this morning, since I received the e-mail about it, and I haven't been able to drag any cards.  I closed the browser and cleared the history and tried it several times.  It's my desktop PC at work and I'm using Google Chrome.  Any tips?  Thanks!