Drag and Drop Question types for Quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be great to have a drag and drop question type for quizzes. It could function much like a peardeck.com question or like Moodle's "drag and drop" question type.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
32 Comments
kroeninm
Community Champion

Just curious, is there a certain example of question that makes drag / drop you are thinking of?  I think drag/drop is neat Smiley Happy but is there a case in which a matching question or multiple drop downs won't work?  Is it specifically the more interactive feel you like about drag/drop?

Thanks!

- Melanie

jacoway
Community Member

Matching / multiple drop downs work but these question types can only get to low level questioning. It will work, but I find myself designing questions that do not work within your LMS. I want students to function in more of a thinking mode (not a selection mode). Drag and drop forces them to make a predictive response based upon their knowledge and not simply selecting the best possible choice.

I teach Chemistry. I want students to view a graphic (usually a particle diagram or a line graph) and make predictive behaviors or diagram trending events from the dataset.

kroeninm
Community Champion

I get it totally, thanks for explaining. For more visual assessments especially it could make them more interactive.  We often use Storyline to provide a more interactive drag/drop experience.   Would be a fun addition Smiley Happy!

- Melanie

petern
Community Contributor

I like this idea and think it has lots of potential.  Moodle has come a long way with this and it would be good to be able to recreate it's successes by having both:

1. Cloze activities where you drag text onto a paragraph
  2. Labelling diagrams

danddqruntimem2.jpg

Screenshot

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

image.jpg

​Drag and drop feature would have huge traction with teachers. Teach sciences and option to have labeling style questions for parts of the body or key parts of electrical circuits or different parts of a chemical equation would be perfect.

could drag and drop also allow ordering style question types - brilliant for history or any chronological question type.

wish more of these requests had greater prominence in the community as these are the ones that have greatest impact in teaching and learning.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

77296_pastedImage_0.png95878_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Can't believe this has not had more votes :O(

eldridger
Community Novice

I want this too!

drimmer
Community Contributor

Could we try again for this? I *really* would value this - teaching students to label economics model diagrams would be helped enormously with this feature. I suppose the hot spot type questions currently being considered ( ) would do a similar thing for diagrams - but for students using the mobile app and/or not skilled at typing - the drag-drop function for any sorting/analysing/predicting function would be excellent.

kona
Community Champion

@drimmer ​, yes, you can resubmit this idea! Just follow the guidelines found here - How do I create a new feature idea?​ - but make sure to reference the original idea.