Drag and Drop Question types for Quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be great to have a drag and drop question type for quizzes. It could function much like a peardeck.com question or like Moodle's "drag and drop" question type.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
32 Comments
drimmer
Community Contributor

I suspect this is something that is already being tackle in the Modern Quizzing Engine development; I would certainly like to use features that are available in Peardeck, like the drag-and-drop, but also the ability to show the class what drawn images they have produced with them overlapping to show consistency/range of answers (e.g. graphs).

I guess what I really want is a good way to embed Peardeck into a Canvas assignment - I'm not sure iframes will cut it. Maybe a future LTI partnership will be possible.

drimmer
Community Contributor

I made a Canvas Feature Ideas​ submission about this here: " style="color: #2989c5;

drimmer
Community Contributor

@kona ​, I made a Canvas Feature Ideas​ submission about this here: " style="color: #2989c5;

eldridger
Community Novice

drag and drop questions are featured on several standardized tests as well, so it would be great for students to use them in Canvas so they are comfortable with his question type. Not to mention, it allows for more interactive questions as others have said. I would definitely use it in my language arts classroom  to label various diagrams, parts of a sentence, and in several other occasions.

allikw
Community Member

As a high school art teacher new to Canvas, I am looking for this feature to allow students to identify significant elements in a complex image. My colleague in digital art would like students to be able to identify tools in screenshots of digital art interfaces from Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Without such visual integration our quizzes will be less authentic assessment tools.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

William, this is a great idea. The drag and drop questions are in the pipeline although not quite sure how they will work eg dragging labels to image or clicking on a 'hotspot'. In the meanwhile if you visit H5P.org or search for this in the Community blogs, you will find some software that allows you to do this.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea will remain in the open voting forum as an idea related to Priority: Quizzes.Next

*Being a related idea does not guarantee it is slated for development, instead it indicates that the idea is related to the overall scope and is being used to inform the process.

flynnnc
Community Novice

Also, it's good practice for the SBA and NGSS tests. 🙂

alisonl_zorrill
Community Novice

I would think this would be such a valuable tool for canvas users.  I am a in love with canvas but as a CTE teacher, I need to be able to have my students label the components of either an Excel or Word document.  Being able to take a screenshot of a document (Excel or Word) and then have them label the different components by dragging and dropping the vocabulary words on the area of the document it represents.  This helps to reinforce their understanding of vocabulary as well as when I am teaching lessons, I know if I say type this in the formula bar, they know where it is.  This would also be helpful to use at as part of the MasteryConnect.  Every single content area would benefit from this type of quiz.

tmercer
Community Novice

I'm sad this idea didn't get the votes.  I think this would be very valuable for elementary.  I know it would be great for word sorts and diagrams.  Many teachers in the elementary setting would use this feature.  I looked at the Priority Quizzes next but could not find whether this would be a feature. I've had many teachers ask about the possibility of such a feature.