Drag and drop files into course modules and assignment edit windows

Could you add a "drag and drop" feature to the course modules and to the assignment edit windows? It is already easy to delete a file in the modules (gear feature) and in the assignment edit windows, but adding and editing the file content in the modules and assignment edit windows would be faster and easier for the instructors if they were able to "drag and drop" a file from their computer files into the modules/assignment edit windows.

Thank you,

Doris Brown

San Domenico School

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Ready Release Notes (2020-05-16) 

41 Comments
sringsmuth
Community Participant

I appreciate you saying this, but this presents an incredible change from our existing workflow here at our university. Currently all our faculty are used to a one-step solution when putting files into Modules

1. Drag and drop one or many files right into a Module

Imagine trying to explain this Canvas workflow to them:

1. Go to the Files section

2. Click Upload

3. Drag and drop your files to upload

4. Go back to the Module you wanted to put the files in

5. Click the + Button to Add Item

6. Change the drop-down selector to say "Add File..."

7. Locate the files you uploaded in the long scrolling list of files

That's assuming faculty can even remember what their files are named, which they tend to forget when doing multi-step processes like this.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Whilst you are there, perhaps you could also investigate drag and drop of Office files that would open directly on a page eg PowerPoint, Word files etc. That functionality is in place in other VLEs eg Firefly. :O)

skylesa
Community Novice

I'd also like to add that drag and drop of files into the speed grader comments area would be very beneficial. We have a large number of paper exams being returned digitally and it would be great if the scans could just be dropped into the comment box without a lot of clicks.

abbottdr
Community Novice

Being able to drag and drop a scanned doc directly to an individual from the grade book view (much like an attachment to an email) would be fantastic and would save a lot of work on the back end as well as paper/ink etc. when trying to return graded physical items that were handed in so the students can see exactly what they missed and hopefully go back and review those specific topics.

Community Novice

This should have been a feature from the beginning.  I don't understand why they are waiting for people to vote for something that obviously would improve workflow. 

jholte
Community Novice

And to either drag and drop image files (.jpg for example) or insert content from the clipboard!

I teach engineering, and when I ask students to upload images into a discussion, I get half the class sending me messages that they can't figure out how to get their image to upload.

sringsmuth
Community Participant

It's been quite a long time since this discussion was started. Any information on how the work is progressing? Blackboard and Brightspace allow for drag-and-drop file upload directly into Modules, but Canvas does not. It does have drag-and-drop into the File Management section, so it seems like the technology is available to have this functionality. It's just not implemented in a way that our faculty would get the most out of it.

sringsmuth
Community Participant

I'm not sure either. Drag and drop file uploading is such a basic feature these days that I can't understand how it's not part of Canvas. It's implemented in the File Manager and it's implemented for videos in Arc, but for some reason it's not available in Modules which is where faculty would need it most.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

cdh33
Community Novice

Please add this! It is such a waste of time to have to upload instead of drag and drop, and it is confusing for the students. Moodle had this feature and it was free.