Drag and drop files into course modules and assignment edit windows

Could you add a "drag and drop" feature to the course modules and to the assignment edit windows? It is already easy to delete a file in the modules (gear feature) and in the assignment edit windows, but adding and editing the file content in the modules and assignment edit windows would be faster and easier for the instructors if they were able to "drag and drop" a file from their computer files into the modules/assignment edit windows.

Thank you,

Doris Brown

San Domenico School

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Ready Release Notes (2020-05-16) 

41 Comments
jraabe
Community Novice

I'm debating on making the switch to Canvas from D2L this semester (optional) or next semester (required).  I can't believe there isn't a drag and drop function into Modules and also see how it would be helpful in the Assignments.  It is available in D2L, which is pretty clunky.  Like others have said, if you can do it into the Files section, why not directly into Modules or Assignments?  I also would like more flexibility in the left hand navigation, as my Modules section is going to be huge.

Overall I was excited about switching to Canvas, but may delay as it is not as intuitive / simple as I was hoping for.

mrahaim
Community Novice

As a new canvas user, I have to say, the lack of a drag-and-drop feature is extremely disheartening. There's already a lot of resistance to changing over from Moodle at my university, and I'm already looking for alternatives to the incredibly convoluted workflow required by Canvas. This isn't just a different workflow that we will get used to. It requires five separate steps instead of one. It is astonishing to me that Canvas has let this idea sit for over two years without stepping up and taking action. 

austincnet
Community Novice

Hey check out this similar page and upvote it there too (if you haven't already)!!!

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13529-drag-and-drop-multiple-file-uploads-for-assignment-submi... 

glen_campey1
Community Novice

I don't know about this one - I think it would encourage a lot of people to use it as a file repository, which we're trying to discourage. We're trying to get all shared files embedded in a page wth some context rather than just chucked into a module. If this is implemented, could there be an option to disable?

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Embedding is key.

Agree with you 100% that we need to move away fro the file repository model to a more engaging, interactive resource. I make use of a interactives like H5P, Learning Apps, Quizlets and anything I can iframe..

Therefore hugely frustrating that I cannot get the Office365 integration to embed files on a page. Important that there are quick win with institutional features (for us - Office365). Been waiting (and still waiting) for embedding and other improvements to happen.

Enhancements to Office365 integration with Canvas LMS – Customer Feedback for Microsoft Office 365  Now at 13 votes!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Instructors can drag and drop to add multiple module content from the Course Home Page or the Modules page. For more information, please read through the Ready Release Notes (2020-05-16) 

ellen_peters
Community Participant

I agree as well. There should definitely be an option to disable it, and not be enforced after July 18. In the current implementation the file upload box is very prominent and new users may think that this is the only way to add content to a module and not look any further. We also encourage users to add files on a page, with context. Therefore I would prefer that
a multiple file selection would be available in the New text editor (https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15771-new-rce-multiple-file-upload" modifiedtitle="true" title...), instead of this.

jholte
Community Novice

The point is that if it takes numerous clicks to embed files into a page who will do it? This is not a question of where people will put the files, it is a question of how easy is it to get them.  You won't improve how faculty use Modules by making it harder to drag and drop files into pages.  The laborious nature of building pages, inserting files, copying content between modules, copying and editing rubrics, quizzes, etc. are exactly what will drive some faculty to simply use Canvas as a file repository.  

lorrie_duffy
Community Novice

I think a click and drag option is always best. I just finished working on the school year book. and there was a lot of click and drag to drop pics. it made life so much easier. I see that the voting is closed but it would have had my "yes"  vote! 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New