Drawing on and labeling documents (such as maps)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea open for vote Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I think it would be beneficial to have the ability to upload a picture of a map and allow students to trace certain features, such as a river, or circle a feature, like a mountain range and label those features with a text box so they can type in their answers. This helps to go paperless and combines the abilities of certain apps such as Lumin PDF and DocHub, and then students could stay on Canvas this way.

Comments from Instructure

September 2016 update

For more information, please read through the Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (iOS 3.15) or Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (Android 5.5)

9 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February, 3, 2015.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

mhenderson
Community Participant

This functionality would be especially amazing in the iOS App!  Great idea!!!

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello Canvas Family,

Thank you for this idea.  It's something we've been thinking, but a clean, effective, and accessible implementation is something that requires a lot of care to implement.  I understand the use case here for a variety of learning activities: assignments, quizzes, discussions, and more.  As we look to update these activities in the future, we explore how this can be addressed in the best way possible--be it partner integration or native functionality. With that in mind, however, I can share this feature will not be released in the next six months.  I've added this to my backlog for research and consideration for a future project.

Kind regards,

Jason

art_woodruff
Community Explorer

I would like to be able to draw on student submissions for assignments rather than just typing comments.

chinderliter
Community Novice

We have teachers that would like a drawing box added to the quizzes. The students could draw diagrams, use arrows to make illustrations, etc. This is helpful in showing flow charts, etc. Maybe this could be incorporated into this idea.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@art_woodruff ​, as long as you have limited the file upload types to compatible document types, you can draw on students' submissions with the Crocodoc annotation tools in SpeedGrader--but you also can now also annotate/draw on PDF uploads on mobile! See Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (iOS 3.15) and Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (Android 5.5)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to theresamchugh​,  @mhenderson ​,  @art_woodruff ​, stefaniesanders​, &  @chinderliter  for submitting this idea, as well as, INSERT_LIST_OF_AT_MENTIONS for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed