Duplicate, Clone, or Copy anything in Canvas

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
An option to "make a copy" should be present on nearly every gear in Canvas -- modules, quizzes, assignments, announcements, pages, discussions, rubrics...

Consistency is an important element of good course design, and this would help instructors and designers achieve it more easily.

Ideas related to this have been developed and depoyed

This idea was completed through the Khaki 2017: Priorities & Related Ideas

Here are the content items that were completed as part of Khaki

- Module Item Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

- Module Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-06-23) 

- Assignment Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-07-15) 

- Discussion Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-10-28) 

- Page Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-07-15) 

You can read more about Khaki in What in the world does “Khaki” have to do with Canvas?

*We know that the ability to copy a rubric from the rubric manager does not currently exist, but we have elected to mark this idea as complete anyways.  If copying a rubric is something that you think should be developed, please add your comment and vote to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5167" modifiedtitle="true" title="Copy a rubric.

154 Comments
dwillmore
Community Champion

A must have I think.

kona
Community Champion

When developing and building courses I've often been frustrated with the inability to EASILY copy things. This would be a HUGE time-saver!

mlewis23
Community Champion

Rubrics! Yes!

mfranz
Community Novice

Love this idea! It not only helps with design consistency but also allows for easier creation of individualized assignments and content that may only need minor changes from one assignment to another.  Love, love, love this!

cfierro
Community Contributor

Thank you for a great suggestion.

ahill
Community Novice

This would be a huge time-saver for faculty and other course developers. Hope to see this suggestion move to the next stage soon!

bdoran
Community Contributor

Thanks for sharing James!

BradMoser
Community Contributor

Would love to see this as an option, especially for quizzes and wanting to quickly duplicate a question with minor changes. I love to have science and math teachers build self graded multiple attempts quizzes for students to be able to use as formative assessments and practice. Sometimes I need to copy the question with the image and, while there is a work around to do this, it would be nice if it was just a simple "copy me" button.

copy-27190_640.png

Image from: Free Vector Graphic: Copy, Duplicate, Twin, Dual, Boxes - Free Image on Pixabay - 27190

SPARROWR
Community Novice

As we have been doing our training workshops for faculty (we are rolling out Canvas this summer and fall) this has been one of the items that our faculty ask about once they are familiar with the system. It's a bit challenging to make the case as to why we don't have this feature in Canvas when we had this feature in our legacy system--so any progress that can be made on this would be greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy

joseph_allen
Community Champion

Its kind of sad to me that we have to 'vote' on things like this.  To be a world class learning leader, let's move beyond the 'start up' company mentality here and just start building functionality that users are asking for and that make sense. The Canvas product managers should already know that lack of a copy functionality is a product deficiency, or at the very least they should be watching community conversations and just implementing ideas that will improve the product.   Basic copy functionality of pages, quizzes should already be part of this product.  It is one of the highest pain points among my 5,000+ teachers that they can't build a page or a quiz, then just copy it.  I actually have to teach people how to copy the html code and then paste it in a new page in order to copy a page.  The other work arounds such as using Commons or importing parts of a course are too cumbersome.  Let's get going development team.