Duplicate, Clone, or Copy anything in Canvas

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
An option to "make a copy" should be present on nearly every gear in Canvas -- modules, quizzes, assignments, announcements, pages, discussions, rubrics...

Consistency is an important element of good course design, and this would help instructors and designers achieve it more easily.

Ideas related to this have been developed and depoyed

This idea was completed through the Khaki 2017: Priorities & Related Ideas

Here are the content items that were completed as part of Khaki

- Module Item Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

- Module Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-06-23) 

- Assignment Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-07-15) 

- Discussion Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-10-28) 

- Page Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-07-15) 

You can read more about Khaki in What in the world does “Khaki” have to do with Canvas?

*We know that the ability to copy a rubric from the rubric manager does not currently exist, but we have elected to mark this idea as complete anyways.  If copying a rubric is something that you think should be developed, please add your comment and vote to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5167" modifiedtitle="true" title="Copy a rubric.

154 Comments
jthoms
Community Novice

I've been blown away by the response to this idea -- way to go community! Smiley Happy

At this early stage, I feel we want to set a tone where we're on equal footing with Canvas staff with the mutual goal of making the product better. We users should be ambitious with our ideas, but understanding when things "aren't quite there yet." I think Canvas staff (hopefully) realizes that the passion/frustration behind user ideas comes from real business needs that cost us real time, and hinder our end-users' general perception of the platform.

joseph_allen
Community Champion

Travis, in this .gif, you have a 'design tools' tab in your page edits.  Hod did you do that and can you provide any help?  Built in templates would help with our development efforts so much.

James_Kocher_UF
Community Champion

Joe,

That is a custom addon that they created that is open source.  You can get more information on it here:  CIDI Custom Tools

James

schafj
Community Participant

While it's implied by the phrase "copy anything," I'd like to stress that this feature would be beneficial to users who have recurring events on the Canvas Calendar. Some of our instructors use the Calendar as a portal to content for class meetings and other recurring events, so manually creating events in a course for an entire term is quite inconvenient. Thus our users need a "copy anything" function" that also includes Canvas Calendar events.

jthoms
Community Novice
ldprogrammers
Community Novice

The Recurring Activity in calendars is being developed already!  We are very much looking forward to it when it gets released.

siglinde
Community Novice

hello,

I would like to have the students duplicate in an easy way (i.e. without having to deal with HTML) a forum post template that disposes their comments in a predefined way.

we have 4 working languages, so my template would basically be a table/boxes with 4 little icons to indicate which language goes where.

students would then be able to fill the boxes or to leave them empty (padding frames would show then only the parts of the template that are needed).

is there a way to do something like that?

can one have a predefined default content showing up when opening the rich-text-editor? or is it possible to add a button there to insert that previously saved template?

here is an example (the not displaying pictures would be the icons - I suppose I must otherwise enable the "view course files" link for the students to be able to copy-paste them?):

LSFASL
insert LSF videoinsert ASL video

FR Objectif :

EN Aim:

kate_hill
Community Contributor

I think this is great (to duplicate anything in calendars), but, I think that the original idea here is needed ASAP as well.

rmiller
Community Novice

Please consider this request.  Continually having to create items from scratch, or try to import them from other courses is not only time consuming, but it also compounds the possibility for errors.  This is a badly needed feature for everything in canvas.

Community Novice

Totally agree with this request.  We should be able to easily copy individual content in Canvas.