Duplicate, Clone, or Copy anything in Canvas

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
An option to "make a copy" should be present on nearly every gear in Canvas -- modules, quizzes, assignments, announcements, pages, discussions, rubrics...

Consistency is an important element of good course design, and this would help instructors and designers achieve it more easily.

Ideas related to this have been developed and depoyed

This idea was completed through the Khaki 2017: Priorities & Related Ideas

Here are the content items that were completed as part of Khaki

- Module Item Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

- Module Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-06-23) 

- Assignment Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-07-15) 

- Discussion Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-10-28) 

- Page Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-07-15) 

You can read more about Khaki in What in the world does “Khaki” have to do with Canvas?

*We know that the ability to copy a rubric from the rubric manager does not currently exist, but we have elected to mark this idea as complete anyways.  If copying a rubric is something that you think should be developed, please add your comment and vote to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5167" modifiedtitle="true" title="Copy a rubric.

154 Comments
SethBattis
Community Contributor

Yup. Exactly the same problem. I haven't dug deeply into it, but I'm guessing there's some "Commons ID" or something tagged on to the imported assignment that causes Canvas to keep importing over the first import again and again.

jgood1
Community Novice

This issue has been my #1 problem with Canvas since moving over from My Big Campus. It should be incredibly simply to copy assignments between my courses. Instead, I have the "option" of following a number of confusing steps through the course settings tab or sharing and importing through Commons... which can take up to 30 minutes.

I need an instant copy button that copies my assignments to other courses. The lack of this feature severely limits my use of this platform and adds half an hour to my already busy day. In fact, I've written this post while waiting for my commons resource to become available.

Please bump this up your list of priorities. This is an essential issue to the functionality of your site.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jgood1 , please have a look at Khaki 2017: Priorities & Related Ideas . You'll be happy to know that the ability to "copy or replicate" any content item in Canvas is #2 on the list. And for more information about the Khaki initiative, I hope you'll read https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/blog/2017/04/22/khaki-2017 

ahayson
Instructure
Instructure

@rthornton ‌ - Good News! You're not the only one looking to quicken the process of duplicating/ cloning items. I have tagged you in this main thread so that you can see the response from Canvas and also to use this as an opportunity to point you towards the exact point we discussed in relation to 'Duplicate Quizzes'.

Cool thing is, the Quiz Duplication feature idea is on the product radar! I encourage you to visit the page, please vote and add comment where relevant to you! Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Check out Canvas Release: Blueprint Courses in the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-06-12).  There are solutions in this new feature that apply to this feature idea!

joyce_seitzinge
Community Novice

The ability to duplicate page and discussion setups would be invaluable.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Ideas related to this have been developed and are On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-07-05) .

BethCrook
Community Contributor

Complaint....I can only like this status one time!  I want to like it over and over again!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Ideas related to this thread have been developed and depoyed

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-07-15) 

jthoms
Community Novice

I just copied an assignment and a page in Canvas! Happy days :smileylaugh:

Dancing panda

Now... about modules, discussions, and calendar events Smiley Wink