Duplicate, Clone, or Copy anything in Canvas

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
An option to "make a copy" should be present on nearly every gear in Canvas -- modules, quizzes, assignments, announcements, pages, discussions, rubrics...

Consistency is an important element of good course design, and this would help instructors and designers achieve it more easily.

Ideas related to this have been developed and depoyed

This idea was completed through the Khaki 2017: Priorities & Related Ideas

Here are the content items that were completed as part of Khaki

- Module Item Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

- Module Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-06-23) 

- Assignment Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-07-15) 

- Discussion Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-10-28) 

- Page Duplication: Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-07-15) 

You can read more about Khaki in What in the world does “Khaki” have to do with Canvas?

*We know that the ability to copy a rubric from the rubric manager does not currently exist, but we have elected to mark this idea as complete anyways.  If copying a rubric is something that you think should be developed, please add your comment and vote to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5167" modifiedtitle="true" title="Copy a rubric.

154 Comments
jholte
Community Novice

This copy feature also needs to work between courses. Please!

If I want to copy one module, or assignment, or quiz from an old course into a new course, there is not really an option for that.  I called the help line, wanting to copy one module, and ended up getting instructions for copying all the modules (then I had to delete everything but the one that I actually wanted.)  If we can share individual items to the commons, why can't we share things between our own courses?  Or if we can, why doesn't support staff know that?

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jholte ...

Canvas does allow you to copy only specific parts of a course from one course to another.  This includes specific modules.  Take a look at this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9878-4152497985  When you select specific content, you'll be able to select only the modules that you want to bring over from one course to another.  As you'll see from the screen shots in that Guide, you'll want to click on the arrow icon just to the left of the modules checkbox to expand the modules (see the example under the heading "Select Specific Group Content"), and then you should see all the module names listed there.  I hope this helps!

jholte
Community Novice

Thank you! I will try this.

Jenny Holte, Ph. D.

Distinguished Service Professor

jholte@stthomas.edu<mailto:jholte@stthomas.edu>

Phone 1 (763) 360-2587

Office OSS 112

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

copy group content!

talagad
Community Explorer

Over 2 years to get simple duplicate functionality for some assignment types. 

bogardde
Community Participant

I'm loving that I can now copy/clone assignments, discussions, and pages...and after this weekend's update, I'll be able to do this directly from the Module that the item is in! Still hoping to see it with Quizzes as well.

tbaltimore
Community Novice

Yes yes yes. I also added this recently: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10672-announcement-templates 

rmiller
Community Novice

Please make this capability a reality.  I spend hours redoing quizzes from scratch that are essentially the same with minor variations.  I know that it is possible to use "master courses" and re-download things.  However, I need the ability to work within a course to duplicate and change things. The time involved in re-creating content is so extensive that I have considered going back to paper based assignments for many of the activities in my courses.

cholling
Community Champion

Hi Robin, 

Could you build a set of master quizzes, then pull in the one(s) you want to tweak  with the minor variations? You could then use the same quiz over and over again.

Cindy.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

From previous testing of this they don’t duplicate when you do this they copy over the one you already had. The only way I’ve been able to make this work is to create the quiz in the course and then copy it back into the same course. Yet, that’s gotten buggy and last time I tried it I was only abke

to make 4 copies before it quit working.