Duplicating Rating Scales in the Same Rubric

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I just finished building a course for an instructor, and the course had several rubrics.  Most of the rubrics used the same rating scale:

• 5 = Excellent - Able to demonstrate this skill without errors.
  • 4 = Acceptable - Able to demonstrate this skill with minor errors.
  • 2 = Needs Improvement - Needs to improve on quality of performance of this skill.
  • 0 = Unacceptable - Unable to perform this skill; redo is required.

It became very time consuming to manually enter these rating scales line by line...especially when there were 15+ criteria per rubric (x10 Assignments).  It would be very helpful if there was an option to let us copy point values (such as 5, 4, 2, 0) from row to row.  This would be a huge time saver for many people.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

25 Comments
anchalee
Community Novice

Yes, we had an instructor who just requested exactly that.

leward
Community Contributor

Most analytic rubrics have a consistent scale for all criteria.  Allowing instructors to duplicate scales or rows would save clicks and time.

itfairhurst
Community Novice

This should a high priority if the 'rubrics' facility is going to be more widely adopted. I am inputting an entire keystage worth of Science & Technology outcomes & indicators which is easily 200+ in total. As an institution we use the same marking criteria as we publish in our school reports to parents so we NEED to change our default criterion when creating a new outcome i.e.

Grade

Common Grade Scale

Excellent (A)

The student has an extensive knowledge and understanding of the content and can readily apply this knowledge. In addition, the student has achieved a very high level of competence in the processes and skills and can apply these skills to new situations.

High

(B)

The student has a thorough knowledge and understanding of the content and a high level of competence in the processes and skills. In addition, the student is able to apply this knowledge and these skills to most situations.

Sound

(C)

The student has a sound knowledge and understanding of the main areas of content and has achieved an adequate level of competence in the processes and skills.

Developing

(D)

The student has a basic knowledge and understanding of the content and has achieved a limited level of competence in the processes and skills

Elementary

(E)

The student has an elementary knowledge and understanding in few areas of the content and has achieved very limited competence in some of the processes and skills

jmills
Community Novice

Finally I found some like-minded folks with the same issue!

Our high school (and many more in the future) are moving to Standards-Based Grading or Competency-Based Education.  The scale used for grading each outcome (Common Core State Standard or Next Gen Sci Standard) is a 4 point scale (look at the work by Marzano).  Editing each outcome (standard) from the default 5 point scale to the desired 4 point scale is very time consuming.  I was hoping that I could find a way to simply change the default and apply it with one click to each outcome rather than manually changing each.

Thank you!

snugent
Community Champion

I agree with this feature idea. On a related note, the rating scales in outcomes should be improved as well.

beatty
Community Novice

I completely agree! Putting in all of the outcomes for Standards-Based Grading is very time consuming; it would be so much easier if the criteria rating scale for outcomes could be set to a default instead of having to input it every time. Everyone at my school would greatly appreciate this time saving application!

lisaarter
Community Novice

Absolutely!  A rubric is, essentially, a table.  Being able to copy over the ratings scales should be a no-brainer addition.  If there are people who do changed the ratings per criteria within the same rubric, I believe this would represent the minority of professors and could remain an option.  However, with the increase of standards-based assessment from all levels of education, more and more teachers are utilizing rubrics and the wonderful ability Canvas has to attach rubrics to assignments and just click on ratings to score is a selling point when getting new faculty on board.  Please add!

kevin_jackson
Community Explorer

Being able to modify the default rating scale is essential - it would be too impractical (and a tragic waste of time) to continually need to readjust the scale every single time a new rubric is created. I noticed this within the first day of my teacher trial and hope the feature is added. It's a must.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

77296_pastedImage_0.png84971_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

So....almost...close to 100.  😞