Duplicating Rating Scales in the Same Rubric

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I just finished building a course for an instructor, and the course had several rubrics.  Most of the rubrics used the same rating scale:

• 5 = Excellent - Able to demonstrate this skill without errors.
  • 4 = Acceptable - Able to demonstrate this skill with minor errors.
  • 2 = Needs Improvement - Needs to improve on quality of performance of this skill.
  • 0 = Unacceptable - Unable to perform this skill; redo is required.

It became very time consuming to manually enter these rating scales line by line...especially when there were 15+ criteria per rubric (x10 Assignments).  It would be very helpful if there was an option to let us copy point values (such as 5, 4, 2, 0) from row to row.  This would be a huge time saver for many people.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

25 Comments
crosby1
Community Novice

Can someone please re-submit this? This is a very necessary feature for our school (and many others) to move to Canvas for full grading capability.

rcb
Community Member

This basic idea is going to be open for a new vote here:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4138?et=watches.email.idea_comment#comment-33166

crosby1
Community Novice

Thank you! Just voted. Smiley Happy

nminnick
Community Novice

Whatever became of this? I have a lengthy rubric with the same ratings for each criteria. It is taking me so long creating each one manually. This seems like a basic feature. 

Shar
Community Champion

In case you haven't found it yet, https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8844-importing-rubrics-from-a-spreadsheet  is a wonderful resource that you can use to make those rubrics pretty quickly in Excel.

Cheers - Shar

James
Community Champion

Thanks for the plug, ishar-uw The version I just unveiled this morning actually makes this even easier than the first release last Monday. You can now specify the points just once at the top of the rubric and then just list the criteria underneath it.

Some people won't have the ability to add extensions to their work computers because they're locked down or they just don't feel comfortable doing so. Even though this script makes it ridiculously easier than what you have to do in Canvas, it's still not for everyone.  @Chris_Hofer ‌, who started the request said it worked for him (after removing an embedded newline), hopeful  @nminnick  can find it useful as well.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-11-06) .

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Nice!  Thanks for the update,  @Renee_Carney ‌!

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

kevin_jackson
Community Explorer

Thanks! I wasn’t aware of this and will check it out!