E-mail Confirmation Upon Assignment Submission

(31)
It would be very useful to have Canvas generate an automated e-mail response when I submit an assignment through the assignment page. This is a feature that my University's legacy system had in place and was very beneficial, especially when issues with submission arose, the e-mail confirmation was a nice comfort blanket to know that my assignment had successfully submitted.
69 Comments
vreugdenhil
Community Novice

I agree with most comments above. Each year I have several cases in which students argue that they have uploaded their assignment despite the lack of a submitted assignment in Canvas. A confirmation email would help students to check whether their upload was indeed successful. 

Ktrettin
Community Member

Students are having issues with assignments not being submitted in Canvas.  The submission button doesn't always work or you don't know if something got submitted.  One reason the button is not working is  becuase when a student opens up a Google Cloud assignment in a new window the assignment can get "timed out" and their work cannot be submitted once timed out.  Then the student work ends up blank and students don't realize that Canvas created a folder (school name) in their Google drive with this completed assignment as back-up.

Please make it so there is a screen that appears, after a students submits an assignment, saying that an assignment has been confirmed as submitted.

ktrettin@bettendorf.k12.ia.us

PabloEReynaV
Community Novice

Send an email after submitting the homework or exam. The emails can be used as a backup and evidence for teachers and students.

Tasha_Biesinger
Community Contributor

Faculty have a Notification option to receive email notifications for All Submissions. Since we regularly have students claim that they have submitted an assignment yet the instructor isn't finding a submission for the student in SpeedGrader, it would be great to have the submission also trigger a Notification for students as confirmation of the submission.

We are looking forward to the Assignment Enhancements feature coming down the pipe, and I think that will go a long way in helping students know when they have officially submitted their work, but it would be great to allow students to get assignment submission notifications - not just faculty who, in my experience, rarely enable these notifications.

LisaNance
Community Member

Please provide assignment submission confirmations - just like Blackboard did. 

This provides the student with documentation of submission should this software program fail to accept an attachment or submission. 

james_trueman
Community Contributor

It's a little dumbfounding that various notifications can be, and are sent to the student's email account as a record, but this doesn't include a confirmation of one of the most stressful events in their journey - the assignment submission? 

Who doesn't wait for the email confirmation before closing the Amazon checkout (other online retailers are available)? Why should we treat students so differently to how we expect to be treated ourselves?

This is sadly another example of the 'nuts and bolts' features that are critical around assessment - but which Instructure is (for whatever reasons) failing to pay attention to.

The exciting, innovative offer can be truly great, but we must get the foundations right. Like an email receipt, some of these are boring, 'admin' stuff (e.g., being able to sort out a student submission error 'after' the Due Date - which can't be achieved by 'Acting As' that student or tweaking that student's Due Date to let them have another crack*). Others enhance the student's experience and ability to use the feedback we provide (e.g., why can only annotations be downloaded (+ file attachments). Why can't Rubrics (which we use so much / and are encouraged to use), or Assignment comments (which are useful in themselves, and the Comment library has been built into them, meaning they are an even more focal part of feedback).

*this comment is based on a centrally managed student journey (via API) that does not give 'Instructors' the right to just 'Assign' a new date to a student.

DrRiazA
Community Member

Hello, has there been any update on this? I can see that this thread was started in 2015 and voting took place then. Our institution is new to Canvas and this is one feature our students are asking for particularly as they got this with our previous VLE. Students are emailing us copies of submitted assignments as evidence as the digital receipt is not generated.

Canvas team, please revisit this!

djflux
Community Member

I would really love this feature. My university's previous LMS also had this feature and it was a good CYA to ensure I submitted my assignment. I also used it as a sanity check and backup in case there was ever a disagreement on when or whether or not my assignment was submitted on time.

Please add this feature. Should be a simple piece of code to add to the Notifications.

Thanks.
Flux aka Andy.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!