[Gradebook] E-mail multiple students at once from the Gradebook

Please allow users/faculty to select multiple student names with certain criteria/color from the gradebook and send an email - all at once. this way we can intervene easily. For example, I can easily send students with scores are in Yellow color at once (students who scored C or less on an assignment or their average is C or below)....

Or if I just want to e-mail students who didn't log on to Canvas at all or in a few weeks a reminder-- again all at once. 

There are many reasons why this feature is important to be available in the Gradebook. 

Thanks.

6 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi @wsaleh -

I'm happy to share that this is already possible in Canvas! New Analytics has many great ways in which you can filter student data, grades, participation as you communicate with your class. When I was a teacher, I appreciated how much time I was able to save with this feature, and students felt like they received personal emails (nudges and/or celebrations!)

Here are some lessons to get you started!

What is New Analytics? 

How do I view the Online Attendance report in New Analytics? 

How do I send a message to an individual student in New Analytics? 

How do I send a message to all students based on specific course participation criteria in New Analy... How do I send a message to all students based on specific course criteria in New Analytics?

After reviewing the lessons, if you have questions, let the Community know! We'll do our best to connect you with the Resources you need. 🐼 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

HI @wsaleh - I'm sorry I jumped so quickly to "Archive"! I reread your thread, and I'm noting Gradebook. Would you like the New Analytics features to be accessible from the Gradebook for more efficient use of the tools?

wsaleh
Community Explorer

Hi Kristin,

Thanks a lot. I know about this tool but I am asking to have it part of the gradebook. It is most helpful when you have it there and you don’t have to go to two places separately.  It would be helpful to identify who is at risk after you grade and then intervene by sending emails from the Gradebook. Again from the gradebook.

Can it be added? Thx.

Yes maybe one way to accomplish what we are hoping for is to make the New Analytics integrated in the gradebook. Again, having everything in one place would you very helpful. Thx.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

DavidSchlater
Community Participant

While we have instructors using New Analytics to try to reach out to select students, it is not meeting the needs they have, and does not scale. What they have said to me is:

Yes, I do know about the Analytics page and I do use it as a work-around. There are a couple of issues with it:

1.       The “email students who” option only has % as the option rather than raw points, and I want to email people based on being between 800 and 900. (The % changes based on what they have and have not handed in, and even if I put 0s as the default it still does not give the list I want so I have to add bigger than needed ranges and manually remove the ones that do not fit.

2.       There are often several factors that I want to filter on for emails and so it would be much easier if it was doable from the gradebook.

If there are marked/unmarked in an assignment that is partially marked, then group the missing ones together when you sort on that column. (Sorting by missing gives a random order).

·         If you sort by one column then by a second, do not forget the sorting from the first column when there are identical grades in the second column.

·         Allow us to sort based on the “Notes” column. Since there is no way to add more text columns,  I am using it for a lot of work-arounds.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme