Easier grading for teachers = highlight bar

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

Something  that is frustrating is the lack of a highlight bar that shows teachers exactly what student they are entering grades for.  When you are trying to put grades in as quickly as possible, it is crucial to make sure you are putting grades in for the correct student.  However, on Canvas there isn’t a highlight bar so teachers have to constantly be checking whether or not they are inserting the correct grade for the correct student. It may sound silly, but this does take up time when you’re trying to grade as efficiently as possible because you have to keep looking from one side of the screen to the other, especially if the grade you are entering is on the complete other side of the screen. With a highlight bar, teachers can quickly assure themselves that they are inserting the right grade for the right person.  The white and slightly gray alternating shading that Canvas has just doesn’t cut it.  It ultimately takes too much time to figure out which student teachers are entering grades for.

• Please compare the two pictures below.  The canvas picture does not have a highlight bar that shows teachers precisely which student they are entering grades for, but the other program below does (next picture).
    • 107201_pastedImage_9.png107890_pastedImage_9.png
    • Please note how the program below has a yellow highlight bar. It makes grading SO MUCH EASIER since you don't have to keep double checking that you're entering the correct grade for the correct student.  This is especially crucial for when you are inputting hundreds of grades that are not alphabetized during one sitting.
      107208_pastedImage_0.png108428_pastedImage_0.png

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13339-canvas-production-release-notes-2017-11-18 

For additional information about the New Gradebook, please visit New Gradebook Users Group and the Canvas Release: New Gradebook document.

22 Comments
Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Thanks, Shauna! I haven't created a feature idea just for this idea, but I will when I get my spring classes set up, or if you want to create one, let me know and I will vote for yours. Smiley Happy

gschantz
Community Novice

I like the highlight!!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

tclements1
Community Novice

Great. Absolutely essential feature for getting grades right! I also would like to request that when a cell is ready for input (selected) that the row/column highlighting stays with the selected row/column and not the cursor (the current implementation has the column highlight follow the cursor).

soxford
Community Contributor

Yes, this will make it much easier to know which student is being graded.  With large numbers of students I have had to double check that I am on the right student.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is in development as part of Priority: Gradebook Enhancements‌ phase 1.

Some of the phase 1 features are available for testing via the Focus Group: New Gradebook‌.  If you do not have access you can request it through your local Canvas admin or CSM (customer success manager).

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-11-06) .

For additional information about the New Gradebook, please visit New Gradebook Users Group and the Canvas Release: New Gradebook document.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

concepcion_lago
Community Novice

May I know the developments about this please? I am currently using Canvas and it seems this hasn't been launched yet. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@concepcion_lago ‌, this is available to instructors using the New Gradebook. If you don't see the option to switch to the New Gradebook in the Settings | Feature Options tab of a course, please reach out to your school's Canvas admin for guidance.