Easy adjustment of points

0 Likes
(2)

There needs to be an easier way to adjust points for quiz questions, rather than having to edit every single question and change point values.  For example, when I start making out a quiz, I may not know initially how many questions I will add.  If I want the points to add up to 100, then I also don't know how many points to give each question.  At the end of my writing, I have to manually go in and edit every single question to change the point values.

I should have the option to make every question worth X number of points.  Additionally, on the left side in New Quizzes where it lists all of my questions and point values, I should be able to click on any point value listed there and change the points immediately without having to do into a full edit of the question.

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@hoggardr 

The ability to apply points to a quiz in total without adjusting each quiz question has been developed and is available in the New Quizzes tool. Our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated early next year, so we've archived this idea.

Instructions for creating a quiz using the New Quizzes tool are in How do I create an assessment using New Quizzes?  You'll find additional resources for getting started with the new tool in the New Quizzes User Group; if you aren't able to enable the feature option in one of your courses, please ask your local Canvas admin for guidance.

Thanks. Stay safe, and stay well. 🙂

hoggardr
Community Explorer

Still, even in the New Quizzes tool, if I wish to change points for several question, I have to manually go in and edit each individual one.  It would be so much easier if, in the list of questions on the left hand side of the screen, I could just click on the point value and edit it directly in the list --- rather than having to manually go in to each individual question's edit screen.

Additionally, there is a slight bug in the editing screen whereas if I highlight the point value for the question and then attempt to type a new value over the existing value, the editing screen automatically closes. The only way I can find to change them is through the use of the up/down arrows beside the point value -- which is highly annoying if there's a major change in point value.

mimhurt2
Community Novice

New quizzes does not give you the ability to assign individual points - for example in a matching activity students lose the entire points for that section if they miss one or more.  It would be great if this could be changed.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@mimhurt2 

We have a number of conversations open requesting partial credit for various question types in New Quizzes. Please add your support to Partial Credit for Matching Questions in Quizzes.Next and search this forum for ideas relating to other question types. We'll close comments on this one to keep threads from branching off.

Thanks!