[Rubrics] Edit or Delete Saved Comments

If you make an error in typing a comment while using a rubric and then save it, there is no way to correct it later. It's possible to save a new, corrected comment, but then you have to check each time to make sure you are selecting the correct one. Either the ability to edit OR delete the unwanted comment will solve this problem. 

Added to Theme

40 Comments
James
Community Champion

@rlapkass ,

You can use the Rubric Importer script with free-form comments. The Rubrics page doesn't allow you to enable free-form criterion there, it's when you attach it to something that you specify it. I created a free-form rubric the other day for someone else and Canvas still sent the ratings for the max and min points, even though it's not going to use it.

What you can do with my script is create two fake ratings, one with the maximum points for that criterion and one worth 0. It doesn't matter what you call them, although Canvas does something like "Full Marks" and "No Marks." They're hidden when you enable free-form comments, but they need to be there when you create it.

Once you attach the rubric to an assignment, check the box for free-form comments.

rlapkass
Community Participant

Hi James:

So, in the rubric script's Excel file, if you create fake text such as "Response 1" and "Response 2", those will show up in the rubric grading comments, once you've selected free-form comments??

That would hold a LOT of promise! I will definitely do some experimenting with this, once the teaching semester ends, grades are posted, and I can think clearly again (2 more wks). Thanks for pointing that out!

I will search back thru Canvas for the post with your original tool and give it a go. Thanks!

Rob Lapkass

jdavison
Community Member

The pull down comments are very nice. But please, please let these be editable. Sometimes I make a typo and there it sits. Or sometimes the finer points of the assignment change, and I'd like my comments to reflect that. 

rlapkass
Community Participant

Hi James:

Thanks for the suggestions. I've finally gotten your rubric importer running, and it works like a charm for the "standard" rubric with points options. Clean as a whistle on the first try!

But even after some experimenting, I'm afraid I'm not quite following you as to trying to use it with free-format comments. I started with this simple Excel rubric:

352508_Excel rubric.JPG

It imports just fine into this standalone rubric:

352509_Excel rubric imported.JPG

But what I'm really after is to use such text as pre-positioned, "canned" free-format rubric comments. I attached this to a simple bogus assignment and flipped the setting to "write free-form comments". Then the imported text is GONE.

What really I'm trying to get to within the Speed Grader is something like the following, with the responses in the indicated dropdowns, WITHOUT all the gruntwork of iteratively using the "Save this comment for reuse" checkbox (I did this one myself manually):

352510_Excel rubric free-format desired.JPG

Perhaps I have just misunderstood your prior message about setting up the free-format comments. Is the above do-able using the rubric importer and appropriately setting up the Excel rubric?? Or, will we just need to wait on the subject feature request to garner enough upvotes?

As always, your insights here would be very much welcomed - thanks!

Regards, Rob Lapkass

jra01140
Community Member

Add an edit button in the rubric in the final comment section.

Currently, if a comment needs to edited, the professor has to delete the comment and start all over.

The edit button would be a real time saver.

Thank you for your consideration in the next update of canvas.

jra01140
Community Member

I want the edit button in the last comment (assignment comment) not in the grading part of the rubric.

jra01140_0-1600759023337.png

lesleykrane
Community Member

my saved comments in rubric need editing or deleting and this feature is not available

jallenwwcc
Community Member

Over time (I like being able to copy the assignment from semester to semester, especially with the rubric already set up and the comments in tact), I have fine-tuned my saved comments and I am unable to remove the old ones. It makes it confusing and more time-consuming to grade because now I have all of these extra comments in my rubric. It would be so nice if I could delete the ones I no longer want to use. Please consider adding this feature!!

kingmi
Community Explorer

In Speedgrader -> View Rubric you have the option to Save this comment for reuse under the Ratings column. I would like the ability to edit and delete comments I have saved for reuse.

bxf13b
Community Participant

Please add the feature to allow the editing or deletion of saved comments for free-form rubrics. This is such a necessary feature. There is no workaround either while this feature is waiting to be added.  Thank you!