[Rubrics] Edit or Delete Saved Comments

If you make an error in typing a comment while using a rubric and then save it, there is no way to correct it later. It's possible to save a new, corrected comment, but then you have to check each time to make sure you are selecting the correct one. Either the ability to edit OR delete the unwanted comment will solve this problem. 

Added to Theme

40 Comments
eclarson
Community Novice

Yes. Adding another vote for implementing an editable comment library when using free form rubrics. There is already support for editing comments to students, but it is not available for rubrics. Please implement this soon. 

profbiomath
Community Explorer

I use rubrics on a variety of different assignments and the stored comments are VERY useful. However, as I have been using the same rubrics on assignments over multiple semesters now, stored comments are building up and it would be nice to delete ones that no longer apply because the assignment has been updated or to delete/edit comments with typos.

This is such a necessary feature. If someone who works for Canvas is reading this, can we hear what the status of this proposed idea is. How will we know when/if Canvas will ever choose to implement this?

If you are reading this thread and in agreement, please make sure to rate this discussion as 5 stars (on the first page right below the original post). I believe that is how Canvas judges if a suggestion is worthy of their time. More 5 star votes might get someone's attention.

STUARTA
Community Participant

Not only do we need a way to edit or delete comments due to misspellings or grammatical errors, but also because of the OTHER issue where comments saved on a rubric are visible to all instructors in a course. Almost all of our courses have multiple instructors grading in them and at this point we will need to rebuild all of their rubrics because not only are everyone's comments saving, but all instructors can see all comments, AND they carry over from term to term. It is imperative that we are given the ability to - at minimum - delete the unwanted comments. The amount of work this has now generated on our end is frustrating, to say the least. 

jryter1
Community Participant

Just adding that this would be nice to edit, delete comments once again to keep it alive.

roi1
Community Explorer

An Edit and Delete function is definitely necessary. While trialing this, a typing error was made, now that version cannot be corrected or deleted.

Steph_30
Community Contributor

I agree with @roi1. My colleagues and I are currently streamlining our feedback (rephrasing, deleting outdated or superfluous remarks, making sure we give similar advice...), but are now stuck with quite a long (and confusing) list of items since we can't delete the old ones. The comment library has an edit/delete function, and the rubric should definitely have one as well.

marisa_jenkins
Community Member

Please can we have this?? Another issue is that they carry over from one semester to the next so many saved comments are completely irrelevant.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

SamuelNordli
Community Member
Problem statement:

Currently, there is NO way to edit or even delete comments that have been "saved for reuse" in an assignment rubric in SpeedGrader. I have faced this issue as a TA, and now as a professor for the same class. I inherited materials, so all of my saved comments from my time as a TA are still stuck to a lot of my rubrics, as well as comments from previous TAs... I could create an entirely new rubric to reset the comments, but it would be incredibly useful to be able to cull the herd of comments down to a few that I know from experience will be particularly useful to my current TAs (and creating a new rubric and re-saving only specific comments for specific questions would be incredibly tedious). I have one TA grading 100 students, and another for the same class with 80... it is not an easy task to grade for this course, but having ready-set comments for questions on assignments would make their lives a lot easier. As is, having to wade through the slog of saved comments makes their lives harder. It's silly to not even be able to delete saved comments... why can they not be deleted? This seems like an easy fix.

Proposed solution:

Allow saved comments to be edited, or at very least deleted, in SpeedGrader rubrics. Make it easier for professors to make it easier on their TAs. It doesn't make any sense that these comments cannot be deleted or edited once saved.

User role(s):

instructor,ta