[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Like Jason said earlier in this thread, the planning process for revamping this area of Canvas is in the planning stage so we'll have to wait and see which specific changes come about.

pdove
Community Novice

We would love to be able to manipulate/re-order rubric rows!  When we import learning outcomes into a rubric, they show up in alphabetical/numerical order...which is not always the order that is best for instructors or students to use!

llister
Community Novice

I agree!  This feature would be very useful for my classes.

kurt_hayes
Community Novice

We are so happy to see this in the Gathering Info phase. For us, it would be nice to have the following changes:

• Designer or Instructor can reorder columns and rows.
  • Admin can modify the default rubric template that appears when you click on New Rubric (we prefer our rubrics to flow in the opposite direction of the template - so, starting with the poor criteria on the left and exemplary criteria on the right, which is the opposite of the default).
  • Make column widths align for better readability. The current design is very hard to follow when all of the cell widths are different throughout the rubric.

Thank you!

James
Community Champion

If you need to reorder the criteria within a rubric before Canvas releases their solution, I've written a blog post that shows how you can type two lines of JavaScript code in your browser to add that functionality. If you have the ability to edit the global javascript file, you could even make it available for everyone.

How to Reorder Rubric Criteria

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

@scottdennis ​  - re what i reported above re different rubric views and score totals ... I have just been advised by Canvas that

"This is an issue we've run into with several others as well.  Even with that option selected, the total isn't being hidden when you view it from the submission view.  Our engineers have been notified of the issue so they can look into a fix.”

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

After speaking with Deactivated user​ it is clear that this feature will not be developed within the next 6 months.  It is however on the radar for the next prioritization discussions.

Please follow and bookmark this idea to receive updates when they are available.  This idea will be archived until i is picked up again.  For more information on the Feature Idea Process take a look at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

jbuchner
Community Contributor

Well, I'll still be using Canvas in the next six months, I look forward to this.

James
Community Champion

On August 16, I wrote a blog post that showed How to Reorder Rubric Criteria

Over the weekend, I discovered some tools to make the process simple (before, it was the JavasScript that was simple, but the process was tedious). I wrote another blog post Sorting Rubrics Made Easy  that takes the technical details of the original blog post and makes it much, much, much easier to use.

Here are some of the improvements of the new approach over the method explained in the original post.

• Install once and forget about it.
  • It automatically injects the JavaScript code, no more typing the code every time you need it.
  • You specify which pages should get the JavaScript added so it doesn't run on every page.
  • The jQuery libraries you need are already available on the web instead of you having to host your own.
  • Allows for multiple scripts.
  • Basically lets you have your own "local JavaScript" file when you can't or shouldn't use the "global JavaScript" file.

The technical details of what was involved from the original blog post are still pertinent, it just turns out there was a whole-lot-easier way to get it done. That's what the new blog post shows. I even made a couple of videos to show how easy it was.

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

Scott Dennis  Set 2015 update

The engineers now say it is not a bug and the rubric in speedgrader appears as it should because designed to associate with assessment scores only and not the rubric score/ calculations ... sad but true......