[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar‌ idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

morgan_taylor
Community Novice

If I change it to no submission AFTER students have submitted the assignment, will it remove their submissions?

rcragun
Community Novice

It has been over three years. That is a long time to include a feature that was already developed. What is the news on this?

ronmarx
Community Contributor

From my understanding, this level of rubric editing was implemented in the last major upgrade.   @Renee_Carney ‌ will jump in and let you know precisely, I'm sure Smiley Happy.

Rows can be inserted and replicated (hurray), but cannot be dragged to reorder like in Modules. The next level of Rubric creation and editing would be to apply a functional template from Modules onto Rubrics. I've floated an idea that would empower teachers and other Canvas content creators to make rubrics look more like their conventional real-world counterpart, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12350-simplify-rubrics-look-and-operation .

I hope it won't take another three years to get to this level of sophistication creating a digital learning environment in Canvas that replicates the physical classroom and campus.

Cheers,

i.Ron

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Howdy  @rcragun 

I believe you are asking this question in response to Christi's 2015 comment about scoping work.  It does happen that we scope work and it does not make it into the roadmap.  There are numerous reasons why this could happen, but the most commons is the balance of resources and priorities.  You can keep tabs on current priorities in Canvas Studio‌ if you'd like to see what we're working on. 

cjjudge
Community Novice

I attempted to follow these steps, however the link to one of the required lines is no longer active (Error 404), copied below. It's now 2018 and this thread has been active since 2015...what's the hold up???

https://cdn.rawgit.com/borayazilim/rowsorter/master/jquery.rowsorter.min.js  

cjjudge
Community Novice

This no longer works. This link from the script is broken: https://cdn.rawgit.com/borayazilim/rowsorter/master/jquery.rowsorter.min.js

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

If you are having difficulty with the Sorting Rubrics Canvancement,  @cjjudge ‌, please post a comment under https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/08/25/sorting-rubrics-made-easy , and the author of the script will help you troubleshoot.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @cjjudge ...

@James ‌ was the one who wrote the script for Sorting Rubrics Made Easy‌, so you may need to ask him about the error message you are seeing.  Are you using Chrome/Tampermonkey instead of Firefox/Greasemonkey when trying to use his script?  Check out the November 21, 2017: Greasemonkey 4 / Firefox 57 note in this document for more details: Canvancements - Canvas Enhancements.

As for the "hold up"...  you can check out the list of current priorities that Instrucuture has on their plate right now: Canvas Studio.  This isn't to say these are the *only* things they are working on.  Also, check out this document which goes into more detail about their process: What is the feature development process for Canvas?

I hope this information is helpful to you, Casey.

amixon
Community Member

Wouldn’t it be better for Canvas to just make the rows drag and drop rather than requiring an script workaround?  They literally just made changes to rubrics. Why not add drag and drop. That’s not a hard feature to add!