[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cjjudge ‌...

I agree with stefaniesanders‌.  I also posted a reply further up this thread that has a few more links for you to look through.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@amixon ‌...

That’s not a hard feature to add!

Unfortunately, that's not always true.  Please have a look at the section called "If my idea doesn’t align with a priority, is it still important?" in this Canvas document: What is the feature development process for Canvas?.

klapacek
Community Novice

I could not agree more! The "drag and drop" feature is already present in modules and assignments so just please, please add it to rubrics! This is SUCH a time waster to not have that feature

James
Community Champion

@cjjudge  

The code that is supplied within the blog was the way it was when I wrote it. Since then I have made changes and the code in the blog isn't the latest version. Instead, at the very top, there is a quick-install so that you don't have to copy/paste code anymore. The code there is a refined version that is simpler than what I had originally and doesn't require the now-missing script.  As others have mentioned, don't use Greasemonkey, it stopped playing nice in near the end of 2017 when Firefox changed the way they do things and it caused a breaking changes in Greasemonkey.

cjjudge
Community Novice

James, thank you for following up on this! I had noticed the download script button at the top of the page and tried that, but thought it was still somehow linked to the old script. Quick point for why it didn't work for me right away: the web address for my course is not related to infastructure at all and doesn't generate a */rubrics/* when editing rubrics. After linking through to this page: canvancement/rubrics/sort-rubric at master · jamesjonesmath/canvancement · GitHub  I finally found the necessary troubleshooting information and was able to adjust that line of code in TamperMonkey. 

I do still think it's frustrating that this isn't embedded into Canvas directly, but I appreciate you following up with me and helping me use your work-around. 

victoria_richar
Community Novice

Also, adding an option to duplicate rubric would be helpful. That way if you just have one or two rows that are different in another rubric, you can merely edit the rows that need to be changed.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @victoria_richar ...

This is already possible...via the Course Import process.  When you go to your course Settings screen, choose Import Course Content.  Then select Copy a Canvas Course from the drop-down list.  Instead of choosing a different course, you're going to choose the same course that you're currently in (which will give you a red "!" that you can hover over to read more...but that's ok).  Next, choose Select specific content, and then Import.  When prompted, drill down to the specific rubric(s) that you want to make a copy of, and the Course Import tool should duplicate those for you so that you can made an needed edits.

amixon
Community Member

Hi Chris

I have tried to import the same rubric twice to a new course by doing the following

settings

copy a Canvas course

select course A rubrics to import into course B

import

now I have all of the rubrics

I realized I would like the conversions rubric twice. I went back to settings, import course A into course B, select the conversions rubric.  Import

i will still only have one conversion rubric. It just keeps over-writing the one already there.

so why would copying the course I am already in “trick” Canvas into duplicating a rubric when copying a different course won’t?

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@amixon ...

That's a great question...and one that I'm not sure that I have an answer for.  I was able to replicate exactly what you described.  When I imported a rubric from one course (A) to another (B), no matter how many times I made edits to the imported rubric, when I re-imported from (A) to (B), another copy of the rubric was never made.  In fact, you can confirm this by looking at the ID number of the rubric when you view rubrics via your "Outcomes" page.  For example:

https://SCHOOLNAME.instructure.com/courses/1234/rubrics/5678

However, if you duplicate the rubric using the steps I gave  @victoria_richar , then a new instance of the rubric is created, and a new ID number is assigned as well:

https://SCHOOLNAME.instructure.com/courses/1234/rubrics/5679

Perhaps someone else here in the Community has an answer...which you may want to post as a question over here: Q & A.

amixon
Community Member

Either way, thank you for the helpful info!  Saves me doing a LOT of copying and pasting. 

But I just get so frustrated with these bizarre workarounds that Canvas makes us do in order to complete something reasonable and logical!