[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
cmaraffi
Community Novice

It is ridiculous that Canvas doesn't have the ability to re-order rubric criteria, and that such a basic feature for faculty has to be voted up to get implemented. As software developers, you should be ashamed.

stuart_ryan
Community Novice

Hi Christopher,

It is important to remember that a Canvas has an incredibly large product with a worldwide base of stakeholders that desire new features and changes to the application. If you have a look at the top 20 features ideas (by positive votes) there are a total of 21032 positive votes between them, that is at least 20 significant features that the community has voted as more desirable than this feature (at this time).

The power of the community is that we CAN vote and that process is transparent, you can champion your peers to come in and vote if this is something that affects them too and help contribute to the process.

Having also been a software product manager myself (note, not at Canvas) there are times when a particular feature or request may seem truly easy and a no brainer, however, there may be other factors that only the Product Manager and development team are aware of that could lead to a decision not to touch a feature in a particular period. 

The job of a Product Manager is not an easy one, balancing the strategic needs of the company, with the internal ideation process, any external ideation process (such as the Canvas Community) and day-to-day needs to support operations (such as bug fixes) all the while getting the most value for the entire community out of the finite engineering and development budget available.

Believe me, I have been on both sides and absolutely feel your frustration, I can tell you that the most productive thing you can do is champion this feature idea to your peers, shout from the rooftops for them to come here and vote if this is something that affects them. By doing this, you help Instructure and most importantly the Product Manager see that this is truly something that can benefit a far broader set of stakeholders.

I hope that clears up a few things about the process and gives you a second perspective while igniting that fire in your belly to champion this idea with your peers to get further visibility in your school. district, state, or even country.

Cheers,
Stuart

jbuchner
Community Contributor

Reading what ideas are "In development" the biggest vote getter has less than 120 votes. Canvas/Tunitin Integration. How many users here actually use Turnitin?
The 2nd has 95 votes. Late grade options toggle. Given how long it took to create a automation of late grades, that cannot be easy.

The third, at 76 votes, Mark "On Paper" assignments late, which I am happy is in development, seems like something people could've been doing with the tools on hand.

The total number of votes for all the idea in beta is 833.

chopper11
Community Novice

This issue strikes me as a design flaw, not an idea/ proposal for improvement.  It seems like a fairly basic function to be able to edit a rubric once a Turnitin assignment has been created...

spraguem
Community Participant

This is sorely needed. I have been very frustrated by the lack of useful editing features for rubrics. Furthermore, I am not able to duplicate a rubric allowing me to keep some of the item and add on to it. 

dwimbish
Community Novice

Jeff,

As you predicted, this workaround no longer works. I tried it today with no success. Ugh.

- Dove

ethomas48
Community Participant

The rubric management functions could be enhanced in a number of ways, including a global update (to fix that typo in a rubric used in multiple classes/assignments). This particular idea is a good start. Please ask your colleagues to vote it up!

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

many of us gave up voting and work on plagiarism tool matters etc via our HEi UK user group and Instructure

verlegem
Community Explorer

Yes to this.  The rubric tools need a refresh.  In tandem with overhauling them, I also recommend changing the CSS on the rubric listing page so that the edit and delete buttons aren't hide_until_hover.  If you go to the "Outcomes" page and click "Manage Rubrics", it lists all the rubrics associated with the course. You can individually open them to edit/delete them, but on that main page there are also 2 hidden buttons that only show up when you hover over them.  Press your tab key and you'll discover them - one for edit, one for delete.

SHEBENE
Community Champion

You can see it in SpeedGrader but not in the assignment.