cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

(8)

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

141 Comments
Surveyor

This is sorely needed. I have been very frustrated by the lack of useful editing features for rubrics. Furthermore, I am not able to duplicate a rubric allowing me to keep some of the item and add on to it. 

Explorer

The rubric management functions could be enhanced in a number of ways, including a global update (to fix that typo in a rubric used in multiple classes/assignments). This particular idea is a good start. Please ask your colleagues to vote it up!

Community Member

many of us gave up voting and work on plagiarism tool matters etc via our HEi UK user group and Instructure

Surveyor

Yes to this.  The rubric tools need a refresh.  In tandem with overhauling them, I also recommend changing the CSS on the rubric listing page so that the edit and delete buttons aren't hide_until_hover.  If you go to the "Outcomes" page and click "Manage Rubrics", it lists all the rubrics associated with the course. You can individually open them to edit/delete them, but on that main page there are also 2 hidden buttons that only show up when you hover over them.  Press your tab key and you'll discover them - one for edit, one for delete.

Community Member

Canvas should directly incorporate the functionality that's currently in the "Rubric Importer" script created by James Jones. Thanks!

Surveyor

After all these years, rubrics are a bit of a mess in Canvas.  Perhaps the Canvas team knows this and is working on a major overhaul?  The lack of editing capabilities is just one of several issues with how instructors create rubrics (so many clicks in surprising places), how that process is so very different for discussion boards, how students view (or don't view) the rubrics and comments, how the rubrics are copied (only via workaround or imports), etc.

Is there a group working on this?  

Community Member

We REALLY need this feature. I feel stuck when I create a rubric! Or if there could be a bank of items to add to the rubric!

Community Member

Canvas how was this suggested 5 years ago and it's still not a feature?!?!?!?!  This seems quite basic of a task and makes a huge difference to work flow.

Community Member

Pushing 5.5 years now. This and having comments autosave would make Canvas useable

Community Member

I completely agree.  Canvas, what needs to happen to finally get this addressed?  Your system of votes does not seem to be very effective.  This seems like it really should be an easy fix, yet creates quite an issue.