[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
SHEBENE
Community Champion

This isn't just about Turnitin either. It's all external tool assignments. We use a lot of Google Cloud LTI assignments and they all have this shortcoming.

andrew_t_levin
Community Member

Canvas should directly incorporate the functionality that's currently in the "Rubric Importer" script created by James Jones. Thanks!

rodger-ling
Community Member

After all these years, rubrics are a bit of a mess in Canvas.  Perhaps the Canvas team knows this and is working on a major overhaul?  The lack of editing capabilities is just one of several issues with how instructors create rubrics (so many clicks in surprising places), how that process is so very different for discussion boards, how students view (or don't view) the rubrics and comments, how the rubrics are copied (only via workaround or imports), etc.

Is there a group working on this?  

steeletm
Community Novice

We REALLY need this feature. I feel stuck when I create a rubric! Or if there could be a bank of items to add to the rubric!

jhoshaw
Community Member

Canvas how was this suggested 5 years ago and it's still not a feature?!?!?!?!  This seems quite basic of a task and makes a huge difference to work flow.

kevin_reitman
Community Member

I've been recommending people using the force a copy method for Google.  Here is a video on how to do that.  This method forces a copy of the assignment using /copy at the end of the URL.  You can then use the 'Online' submission option (rather than Google Cloud Assignment in the External Tools) and easily attach a rubric.

tracy1_norman
Community Novice

This would be especially helpful now that we are doing distance learning and requirements for grading are slightly different and are dependent on using rubrics for all assignments (even multiple choice).

aicalopez
Community Member

I was playing around with Google Cloud assignments and I noticed how difficult it is for students to see the Rubric if it is an LTI assignment.

I also found that the workaround of applying the rubric BEFORE creating an external assignment to be somewhat a design flaw? It makes me also wonder why this hasn't been fixed yet. Especially that this request has been initiated 5 years ago.

I hope this gets fixed soon. 

bkrisenhoover
Community Participant

Thank you  @brueckert ‌ and everyone in the Canvas Community for participating in this discussion.  I noticed this scenario when integrating flipgrid into my course assignments.  I was able to build a rubric in Flipgrid, but that didn't help me in SpeedGrader.  I thought maybe Flipgrid's LTI was to blame, but then edpuzzle's and nearpod's expressed the same rubric limitation. If your interested in integrating these apps as Canvas assignments check out the following blog posts:

Flipgrid:How To Create A Flipgrid Assignment 

Nearpod:How To Create A Nearpod Assignment 

Edpuzzle:https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/k12/blog/2020/06/11/how-to-create-an-edpuzzle-assignment 

Thanks again for everyone in the Community.  I appreciate you all.

scott_daniel
Community Novice

Pushing 5.5 years now. This and having comments autosave would make Canvas useable