cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

(70)

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

290 Comments
tnorton
Community Member

It's incredibly hard to believe that this has been an issue for over 5 years, and it hasn't been resolved. I would like to add my voice to the chorus that asks for a way to edit rubrics by adding individual rows within the rubric and by rearranging criteria.

Michellek
Community Member

Yes, please!

khull
Community Member

Reiterating the call to action.  Instructure, please address the need to significantly improve / re-vamp your rubric functionality and UI post-haste.

Since they've been unable to act on such a basic and obvious issue for the past five years, it seems to me that Instructure needs to shift their priorities and invest in hiring more software developers.

Unfortunately, this kind of oversight has been the norm with Instructure, not the exception.  It's disheartening.

-K

jarosenblum

Hiya folks, just adding a voice to this chorus. We've got a new Dig Equity cert in the works for K-12 teachers here at UT Austin. We really need for a rubric for external tools feature to happen. I know folks here have been waiting here for 4 years! Fingers crossed on a resolution soon. 

jwisniewski

This is still a feature that needs to be included. Using the workaround is doable, but it prevents you from going in to remove or revise a rubric. I recently had to make changes to the assignment which meant the rubric I had originally attached was no longer valid. I can't remove the rubric, and students are confused because there are aspects of the rubric which don't make any sense anymore.

With more and more of us doing school virtually, using features like the Google Cloud Assignment are lifesavers, but we need the ability to add and change rubrics because those are an essential part of the feedback needed for virtual learning. 

jarosenblum

Has someone tried this workaround with the Flipgrid tool? I've done the workaround and no rubric is visible. 

jarosenblum

AH wait I see it in Speedgrader--but the rubric isn't available to view as a link in the assignment on the student end, which is why I was confused. 

sschackmann
Community Member

This would be a wonderful fix for those of us who utilize external tools for homework when using some publisher materials like McGraw-Hill Connect, etc.

melayna_moore
Community Member

I agree that this is a small but work/life improvement fix. It can be a real nuisance when you created a whole assignment and then realize you forgot to add a rubric. This means you have to go back into the assignment change the settings. Leave the assignment to add the rubric. Then go back into the assignment to change the settings as an external tool assignment. This could also be fixed by having the ability to add the rubric while creating the assignment instead of after you have saved it.

tfjackso
Community Member

Come on! Do this!!  

amy_petersen

Agreed!  Please make that change sooner rather than later!

NicLSim
Community Participant

Yes, PLEASE!!! I thought I'd be able to do this with Flipgrid, but nope- now I'm hoping that I can grade student submissions within flipgrid using the rubric there and that the grades will integrate. SO FRUSTRATING. It's these little things that make these integrations not effective.

frances_tee

I would like to +1 this feature request. Its very counter-intuitive to set a rubric, then change assignment type and not be able to see the rubric at all. 

Rachel_S
Community Participant

Allow us to reorganize items in a rubric--perhaps drag and drop.

When I create a rubric, I create items as they come to my mind. I would like to reorganize them when I'm finished. That is not an option, so I have to create a new rubric and cut and paste. It is cumbersome.

Swil0487

Yes this feature would save so much time and I'm surprised its not already available.

whiten1

It's been five years since the initial post. Is this even being seriously considered? if not, it should be.

ttscott
Community Member

it is cumbersome to edit the the rubric and not be able to move the fields around.  Instead new criteria are added to the bottom of the Rubric.  This makes editing the rubric really complicated. 

twassmer
Community Participant

Is this still not possible????

ireym

I agree - this is terrible that you have to know exactly the order to put it in. I'm using flipgrid and was hoping to use the rubrics. Apparently one of the assignments I accidentally did the correct order, but not the others. I already have students submitting assignments so I do not want to delete the assignments and do this with the rubric first. I hope Canvas decides to fix this.

MBRN

Once a rubric has been applied to an assignment, there is no way to edit or duplicate it if the rubric created at the administrative level.  This causes unnecessary work because even minor revisions requires creating an entirely new rubric.