cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

(21)

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

155 Comments
ttscott
Community Member

it is cumbersome to edit the the rubric and not be able to move the fields around.  Instead new criteria are added to the bottom of the Rubric.  This makes editing the rubric really complicated. 

MBRN
Community Member

Once a rubric has been applied to an assignment, there is no way to edit or duplicate it if the rubric created at the administrative level.  This causes unnecessary work because even minor revisions requires creating an entirely new rubric.

kas200
Community Participant

Yes, please, we need this! It would be so handy to be able to make edits without having to redo a bunch of work.

christiand
Community Participant

It would be great to be able to insert a row in an existing rubric.

Can some of the code that works with Tables within the Rich Content Editor, be used to insert a row in an existing rubric? Delete a row? Etc.

Thanks,
Daniel Christian
Dir. of Instructional Services at the WMU-Cooley Law School | Author of the Learning Ecosystems blog

peg-employease
Community Member

We're new to Canvas and just coming up against this issue. 

It's quite obvious that the design functionality for rubrics is completely out of step with other areas of Canvas, despite this being flagged as an ongoing issue. The amount of time absorbed in this one rather small area of the course is mind boggling. 

Would love to know where this is in terms of getting onto the development road map for feature improvements.

physicslabmanag
Community Member

I agree! This would be really useful!

deloris_foxwort
Community Member

I agree that this adjustment would make rubrics more accessible and user-friendly to instructors. It reduces the amount of work by preventing users from having to delete and recreate criteria for the rubric so it displays in the proper order. 

tom_anfinson
Community Participant

I totally agree. Being able to move and adjust rubrics is super helpful to teachers. 

hyochum
Community Member

bowmanr
Community Champion

This is for all the people that recently posted.  You may not be aware of the abilities of James Jones and his Canvas java scripts.  He has a page called canvancement that has all kinds of nice additions that regular users can incorporate by adding tampermonkey to their browser and uploading the java script he created.

There is one for rubrics for sorting, and I use it all the time now (Thank you James).

https://github.com/jamesjonesmath/canvancement/tree/master/rubrics/sort-rubric

You can get to the base page of canvancement and see what else he has to offer - Quiz whiz for classic quizzes is excellent as well.

Ron

sylvester_arena
Community Member

Sortable Canvas Rubrics.png

Just discovered that my college's subscription to Cidi Labs DesignPlus enables the easy sorting of rows in Canvas rubrics. The "Make Rows Sortable" button appeared when I clicked Edit on the rubric page.

I still think this capability should be native in Canvas. If rubrics were easier to edit and manage, more instructors would use them!

bowmanr
Community Champion

@sylvester_arena 

That is pretty nice, but for me I need free options - Which canvancements is.  In the sort rubrics script, you just click and drag the rubric row to wherever you want it.  Not sure which way is easier, but if they both work that is all that matters.   Although I really like the DesignPlus page looks.  I looked at their website and it looks like the price is for a sitewide license only (I did a very quick look) and not something an individual could buy.

I wonder what other nice things they have built into their design software.

mabelson
Community Member

Pretty **bleep**ty that this basic functionality can't be added to Canvas.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@mabelson   We welcome friendly and constructive discourse that is consistent with the Canvas Community guidelines, so please review our guidelines and keep them in mind when writing your posts in the future: What are the Canvas Community guidelines? 

StevenKennedy
Community Member

Agreed.  This seems like it could be similar to how we rearrange modules--drop and click.  

About Idea Conversations
In the Canvas Community Ideas space, you can share, converse, and rate idea conversations related to software improvements to Canvas products.