[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@tobe_baeyens , have you had a chance to explore  @James ‌'s awesome Canvancement (linked elsewhere in this thread) https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8844-importing-rubrics-from-a-spreadsheet?sr=search&searchI...? The complete list of Canvancements can be found at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8591-canvancements-canvas-enhancements?sr=search&searchId=5...

duy_nguyenxuana
Community Novice

YESSSSSSSSS !!!!

This is a perfect idea ever.

klapacek
Community Novice

YES! Please! So much time wasted retyping things!

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @klapacek ...

As far as retyping things is concerned, have you seen the new feature that is listed in the latest Beta Release Notes on criterion duplication?  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13332-canvas-beta-release-notes-2017-11-06#jive_content_id_... 

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

it is great ... but still requires points for runric to work - we have mattric rubrics with word scales NOT points....

klapacek
Community Novice

Yes, but that does not help if I miss a criteria that should be at the top of the rubric. I know I can add things to the bottom, but then the rubric order doesn't make sense and the time that it should save using the rubric is taken up by scrolling up and down. Thank you!

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@klapacek ...

Take a look at this "Canvancement" by  @James ‌: Sorting Rubrics Made Easy.  You can drag and drop criteria rows using his process.

diane_goudy
Community Novice

It would be SO helpful.  My rubrics are organized by expectation. It is cumbersome to go to the bottom of the rubric to get to the point value as I go logically in order of the project.  This would be the best!

w_weerasekera
Community Novice

What use is a rubric if the student can't see it? If the rubric has actual answers on it, obviously you won't want the student to see the rubric.

w_weerasekera
Community Novice

I am not sure how much progress has been made on this but Canvas should allow rubrics to be added to an assignment before or after the due date! Give the flexibility to the user, please do not decide it for us. I want to add a rubric to an assignment that uses Turnitin LTI AFTER  the students have made submissions. If I add it before students make submissions students would then see the rubric which has actual answers on it - which is something most would want to avoid! Canvas does not allow me to do this. The only workaround is to dissociate Turnitin after students have done their submissions, then assign the rubric, reconnect with Turnitin and pray that Canvas will try to link up the old Turnitin files. Very risky indeed! What if Canvas is unable to reconnect to the earlier submissions!!?

Also, there is no place in Canvas that indicates what rubric has been associated with which assignment. Associating/dissociating a rubric should be able to be done without having to go to the Assignment page!