[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

If your institution is a Turnitin customer and can switch to the new Framework, rubrics become will available again in the usual way for Canvas assignments. (I'm guessing this will be true for other account-level similarity detection platforms.) However, those framework-integrated services aren't LTI tools.

I believe votes here should remain meaningful for customer interest in connecting Canvas rubrics with External Tool assignments.

frankel
Community Champion

If the aim of Canvas is to make life easier for teachers and students, then this idea should be implemented as soon as possible.  For students, it's important that a rubric have a logic to the order of its criteria; for teachers, it's an incredible waste of time to have to redo an entire rubric or have to settle for a default arrangement that doesn't make sense.

diane_goudy
Community Novice

that is absolutely true!

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

I was directed to this Idea after submitting a ticket reporting that our high school English teachers couldn't add a Rubric to a Google Cloud Assignment after they had clicked Save -- the sort of thing where the teacher might not have been done writing the directions for the Assignment, and simply did not add the Rubric in the first step.

I have voted and will direct the HS English teachers to vote here as well.  (It's somewhat discouraging to see this idea was created Dec 2015.)  

ronmarx
Community Contributor

I know this post is from more than a year ago, but the Focus Group link is broken.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Hang in there, and keep this idea alive. It's in Product Radar now, according to above posts, and continued attention on these ideas keeps the development fuel at Instructure at FULL.

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Sorely needed for Office365 integration!

tpriest
Community Member

Yes, I would like to be able to reorder criteria within a rubric.

am_jagusztyn
Community Novice

I also would use these features. I hope that it is added soon! Thank you, Canvas.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

tpriest...

Have you had a chance to review this blog post, Sorting Rubrics Made Easy, by  @James ‌?