[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@dbutter7 

There is a javascript canvancement program that has been written by James (he has a long list of canvancements).  This canvancement does exactly what you want - allows you to edit a rubric by dragging and dropping the criteria into a different order.  

I use it all the time.  It should work in any browser(just my guess) that you can install tampermonkey on.

Here is the link for the page: (note pay attention to the very top part - use tampermonkey  do not use grease monkey)

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Instructional-Designer/Sorting-Rubrics-Made-Easy/ba-p/2721...

here is a list of canvancements - the post is old and before moving to the new forum so some or most the links will fail.   However, just search on the title listed and you should be able to find the page on the new forum.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Higher-Ed-Canvas-Users/Canvancements-Canvas-Enhancements/ba-p/246...

One in particular you may find useful is the "Sorting the find a rubric list:" - this is useful when you try to find a rubric from a previous course

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Instructional-Designer/Sorting-the-Find-a-Rubric-dialog/ba...

kdburke
Community Explorer

Please introduce this ASAP.

jamin_hoffman
Community Explorer

I need this, too!  Typing in the parameters of using an external tool each time I create an assignment is not efficient. I would prefer to be able to copy the assignment, including the rubric.

rsopko_ilearnNH
Community Member

Completely agree - reordering the criteria would be a huge help, as would adding criteria anywhere in the rubric. This is absolutely a needed functionality, particularly with the Outcomes interface being a tool in development and one that is really useful for tracking student progress. Adding these updates would make the rubric functionality much more functional. 

dopitz
Community Explorer

I really need the ability to adjust points on rubrics after they have been created and used in a different assignment.  Some assignments I adjust point values on the rubrics differently but would like the ability to keep the same rubric and not have to recreate it.

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@dopitz 

I would recommend you create a master rubric - say Projects.  Then for Project 1, find that rubric and select it.  Then edit the rubric and change the name to something like SP22_Project_1.  You now have a copy of your master rubric with a different name.  You can now edit it however you want - change points, criteria or whatever.  I would also recommend using the javascripts I mention above as a way to easily rearrange criteria if you need to do that as well.

Ron

LisaDaniel
Community Member

I have had to add another criteria into my grading rubric but that has disrupted the logic of marking - there is no way to add another row at a specific point in the rubric to adjust the flow to better fit with the grading approach. In word I can simply add a row or a column either side of a point.  This seems a basic editing facility which would be an advantageous inclusion.

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@LisaDaniel -

If you are not against using tampermonkey and a javascript, then see my post 4 or 5 above yours.

That canvancement works great.  Should be in Canvas, but at least there is something available.

Ron

DemiBarzana
Community Member

I am an Instructional Designer and really love the rubrics in canvas. The only difficulty is that there is no way to re-order the criteria. Some of our instructors adjust assignments and end up needing to recreate the whole rubric instead of being able to move criteria around. I think this would be a great feature to include for anyone who is constantly creating rubrics for their assignments.

ksjhdfsd
Community Member

This would make life so much easier!