[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
torogers
Community Member

+1

DanBurgess
Community Participant

Anything that can be done to improve working with rubrics will benefit both the instructor and the student.

Clunky interfaces that impose frustrating amounts of friction impact instructors who would like to use rubrics but don't have the time and patience to create them, and impact students who don't receive the benefit of structured and timely feedback.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

alm151
Community Member
Problem statement:

As assignments change and morf I would like to be able to move criteria around in the order I would like rather than delete criteria for it to show up at the top.

Proposed solution:

Make buttons on the left hand side of the criteria to drag and drop in a different location for ordering.

User role(s):

instructor

fkolarz
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

I have an instructor that would like to reorder the criteria in her rubric. She wants the last criteria moved under the first one. There is no way to do this. The only option is to edit each criteria and then copy/paste the content in each one. It makes sense to be able to move the rows.

Proposed solution:

It would be far less time consuming if the rows can be reordered the same way modules or content with modules can be reordered.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,ta

RecycledElectro
Community Coach
Community Coach
Problem statement:

When instructors create or edit rubrics, they can only enter new criteria at the bottom. If an instructor wants 25 criteria in order, and they need to insert a new one at the top (for example, beacuse they want to evaluate the cover page in a paper first,) that instructor must delete every single criteria and re-type them from first to last, in order.

Proposed solution:

Allow instructors to reorder the criteria in a rubric.

User role(s):

instructor

melder
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

It would be very handy to be able to sort/resort items in a rubric. As it stand now the only way to add a criterion is by putting it at the bottom. If a user wants to insert one in a different location they cannot. There is an add-on tool (shown on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD6IWkOM2c8), but this is not an option in my school district. Can Canvas just make this a standard? (And how about an easy way to duplicate rubrics instead of having to import content?)

Proposed solution:

Make rubrics sortable. This makes it easier to use a duplicate rubric, but add in other criterion that is needed for a particular assignment and place that criterion where the teacher wants instead of always at the bottom or requiring a rewrite of the whole rubric!

User role(s):

admin,instructor,ta,designer