[Rich Content Editor] Editing Links

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When a page already has a course link but you want to change it to another course link, you currently have to highlight the word, remove the link, then relink it to a new course page, etc. But could you add a feature where we select "Edit Link" and in the fly-in window just be able to select a new course link rather than the only option be edit an entire URL. 

Second, when selecting "edit link" the fields provided to actually edit an existing URL is very small and you cannot actually see the entire link at once. Some of these links are very long and need a larger field to be useful. 

Added to Theme

9 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

palmarinich
Community Contributor

+1 on both.

The External Link option (URL) isn't very useful when editing a Course Link.  Providing the same content navigation panel shown when Adding a new course link would be much better.

DanBurgess
Community Participant

Casting my vote/stars for this. 
We have folks with very long URLs and the field is too small.

While you can scroll the URL in the field, it is not as useful as being able to see entire URL at once.

erik_gustafson
Community Participant

I love the new rich content editor. I think it is more streamlined and looks very familiar in terms of the toolbar and how things work. 

As we have used the RCE, one of the frustrations we have run into is changing course links inside of a page. For example, if I have text that links to one page and I want to change the link to another page, I have to remove the link first. Then, re-create the link. 

I know what to do, but there are faculty members that are confused when they are trying to reorganize course links in a page because they don't see how to clearly change links.

My idea would be an addition to the link options tab that opens when you select the Link Options on a link in a page. (See the images below).

link option.png

new link options.png

This new bar option would greatly enhance the ability to quickly and easily edit links inside of a page!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

a1065043
Community Novice

5 stars from me. As a person with a hand disability this is a game ender for me and Canvas. Way too fine motor control needed. But then Canvas has never been a package designed to support students or staff with these issues.

Ctrl K and the old way of adding course links was much more user friendly

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: In Development

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
  Comments from Instructure

This feature is available in Beta. For more information, please read through the 

Canvas Release Notes (2023-08-19) 

How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an instructor?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2023-08-19)