Electronic Signature

(3)

I would love to see Canvas develop the ability to send a document to a student for electronic signature that could also be signed by faculty and housed within the LMS without the need for additional programs and file locations.

Tags (1)
8 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings  @emesser  

I'm not sure if this is something we would look at re-creating or not, which is why I marked it as a potential 'partnership' idea.  There are other systems out there that have mastered this, so it might be great opportunity to build upon the platform by partnering!

gail_bliss
Community Participant

We are currently using PDFiller.  They might be a good partner.  Their costs a good and they are easy to use.

bryan_tayman
Community Explorer

In support of this idea:

Create a way teachers and administrators can have parents and students "sign" something in Canvas.  Examples may include:

• student handbook signature page
  • media/photography waiver form
  • safety contract for Tech Ed class
  • teacher's classroom rules/syllabus

With COVID, we are trying to reduce the amount of paper that is being passed around this fall.  Thanks for helping to make things more efficient and SAFE!  

dhill1
Community Member

I type my name thousands of times each week sending Canvas messages.  I sure would love it if I could have an auto-sign feature where I put my closing and signature and it is automatically appended to any Canvas message I send.  Please save my fingers!

JaclynVames
Community Member

Where are you guys on this idea?

I would love to be able to have my students electronically sign a behavior contract. I also like the idea of having a signature for teachers sending Canvas Inbox messages.

Nda
Community Member

Any updates on this feature? 

Would be an invaluable tool for  students to electronically sign conduct of conduct agreements and other standards agreements, forms etc . Would also be handy to have for placements to verify work completed

adamwarecs
Instructure
Instructure

As users (in this case, students) need to authenticate against canvas (or any other 3rd party authentication provider), I'd just like to make the point that anything asked within Canvas is directed to a specific user. This could be interpreted as more secure than a signature.

It's also important to understand that Canvas is a Learning Management System and not a document repository. Thank you @gail_bliss for your LTI suggestion.

However, @dhill1 suggestion of a "message signature" as part of inbox could be very handy.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.