[Inbox] Email (message) multiple classes at one time

Instructors often want, or are asked, to share news and information of importance to all our classes.  Currently, that means copying and pasting that information into anywhere from 2-5 different classes.  Given that there is a drop down box for choosing a class to message currently, adding the ability to select multiple classes seems like it would be an easy "fix".  Please add this capability ASAP.
153 Comments
aleverton
Community Participant

Bernard,

Definitely talk to your rep or admin about cross-listing. We cross-list through our SIS most of the time but occasionally we have the need to do it outside of our normal circumstances and we use the Canvas option. It's easy, once you understand all of the pieces.

Best of luck,

Audra

asli_tasci
Community Novice

Love your idea Elizabeth, I always felt that need too. By the way, please consider voting for my idea too

People think it is possible to do this right now, but it is not. it would help a lot. Thanks in advance!!! Smiley Happy

emalates
Community Novice

Done.  And thank you!

emg15
Community Novice

Just yesterday, I received Canvas feedback with this exact request.  Will be sharing this within my university.  Thank you!

asli_tasci
Community Novice

Thank you!!!

emalates
Community Novice

Thank YOU!

peterakers
Community Novice

This would save both admin staff and academics at our institution a great deal of hassle. Additionally, it would be good to have the possibility to create custom lists, i.e. to group certain courses together so that messages could be easily sent to, for example, all first year courses or to all courses at a certain campus. Don't wait until June 1, do it now!

gschultz
Community Contributor

In the same manner, it would be helpful to message any sub-account.  That way an entire department can be notified at one time.

cwhite3
Community Novice

In the system we were using at SRJC, we had rosters of all our classes and were able to email all classes, or a single class or just certain students within a roster.  This saved a lot of time, but I'm new to CANVAS and still building my classes, so I've not explored all the possible aps it has.

kona
Community Champion

@cwhite3 ​, in the Canvas Inbox you can email your entire course, a specific section within your course, a group of students (if you use groups), or a specific student/students.

Here are a few guides that might help: