[Inbox] Email (message) multiple classes at one time

Instructors often want, or are asked, to share news and information of importance to all our classes.  Currently, that means copying and pasting that information into anywhere from 2-5 different classes.  Given that there is a drop down box for choosing a class to message currently, adding the ability to select multiple classes seems like it would be an easy "fix".  Please add this capability ASAP.
153 Comments
dillmanbiology
Community Novice

Blackboard uses "Quickly" which was one of the best things about blackbaord, maybe check to see if it will interface with Canvas? 

patriciaguillor
Community Novice

Is there a way that I can send course emails to all my courses at the same time? I would not want the students in one class to get the email addresses of the students in another class. Is this possible?  For example, a service project that all my students can participate in requires me to go into each course, upload the video and instructions each time.  This semester I am teaching 8 classes.  Wow!  I'm thinking email is email, but this must really be a tough one to complete.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi patriciaguillory,

Are you teaching 8 sections of the same course this term or are they different subjects or levels that happen to use the same service project?  I'm asking because I'm curious as to whether you could have multiple sections in what could be one Canvas course or whether they need to stay separate.

Community Member

This is very important. Canvas email is very clumsy. I submitted this idea before twice. It got a lot of votes and nothing happened. I imagine this time it will be the same. 

Very cumbersome to have to copy and paste emails for different courses. 

Community Member

In my case, these are different classes, they need to be separate. This feature is very important.

Community Member

I have submitted this request twice and got a lot of votes and nothing was done. I know it takes time to develop things but I submitted this several years ago. 

Community Member

This existed in the previous Canvas, several years ago. It changed when the new system came in

principal
Community Novice

Cross-listing is for multiple sections of the same course, is it not?  Our teachers have 10 to 15 entirely different courses, so they have to make a lot of separate messages.

principal
Community Novice

For sure.  This is BY FAR the biggest complaint I get about Canvas from teachers at my school.  Almost two years ago, @Renee Carney said it was put on "Product Radar."  The product radar page says, "An idea may stay in Product Radar indefinitely."  How do we get it out of the dormant radar and back into focus that this is important to us??

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar‌ idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.