[Inbox] Email (message) multiple classes at one time

Instructors often want, or are asked, to share news and information of importance to all our classes.  Currently, that means copying and pasting that information into anywhere from 2-5 different classes.  Given that there is a drop down box for choosing a class to message currently, adding the ability to select multiple classes seems like it would be an easy "fix".  Please add this capability ASAP.
153 Comments
aleverton
Community Participant

I'm confused by your statement, Renee. What exactly do you mean? Has this idea been scrapped or is it in development?

Community Member

Several of us have been asking for this feature for several years. Canvas

used to have that ability in the older version. They put the item to vote

and then they delete it... voting is futile, I gave up

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Audra.  It is neither.  This idea remains in the pool of ideas open for voting.

toddp_nasife
Community Novice

I think this would be a great idea if it gets through the voting process and is implemented. I work with middle school teachers now and this is one thing that they do not like about using the Canvas Inbox. The idea of having to copy and paste the same message for multiple classes. I like using the Inbox with students because it separates them from my school email. I get so much email on my school account that sometimes student emails would get lost among all the others. Using the Canvas Inbox I know that any message in their is just from my students. Being able to choose multiple classes to message at once would really enhance this feature.

jenniferg_soto
Community Novice

I think this is a great idea.  Many times I get students that will send me emails regarding mistakes on an answer key that I posted or I get the same question from several students. This would be a quick way to send a message to all my students regarding the issue.  It would save both the teacher and the student time.

ssmith31
Community Novice

This would be super helpful and save lots of wasted time on copying and pasting!

jenniferg_soto
Community Novice

I totally agree with you. What a timesaver!

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

sdillon1
Community Novice

I have 88 sections of labs every term and so PLEASE add this feature!!

dorenecom
Community Explorer

This is an old post but others may be wondering how they can vote. You'll have to log in first and then it will allow you to vote. 

sdillon1
Community Novice

I have 96 lab sections each fall and spring and when I want to sent an email to all the sections it is not a simple copy and paste 5 times it is an endless waste of time that I have no choice but complete. Needless to say I don't send as many emails to my students as I want or probably should. I don't see this as a luxury item but a very necessary tool to run my classes in the best manner possible. Since we have had hurricanes two years running communication with my students has been very necessary and very painful due to Canvas' lack of a efficient communication application. Please add this tool asap.