[Inbox] Email (message) multiple classes at one time

Instructors often want, or are asked, to share news and information of importance to all our classes.  Currently, that means copying and pasting that information into anywhere from 2-5 different classes.  Given that there is a drop down box for choosing a class to message currently, adding the ability to select multiple classes seems like it would be an easy "fix".  Please add this capability ASAP.
153 Comments
rungun_nathan
Community Explorer

This is a great and very much required feature.  Could we also add the option of BCC - I have not been able to see the blind carbon copy option. 

richardgc
Community Explorer

This only makes sense because many professors, instructors, and facilitators are asked to teach more than one course at a time which helps organizations save money (i.e., 1 Professor = teaching 3 classes). 

BTW: is the standard answer from Canvas:

"This idea was considered when developing our product plan for Q4 2019 and is not expected to influence development within Canvas at this time.

• This idea will remain open for vote.
  • If this idea is in the top 10% by vote next cycle it will be reconsidered."

Just thinking Q4 of 2019 is over. Why not put the Top 10 Ideas on the main landing page when people log in with a count down calendar for when voting expires? Let the community of users help even more. Plus a bonus would be getting rid of the canned response that needs to be updated.

Regards,

Dr. Rich Curtis

erika_malmkvist
Community Participant

This is something that is needed. The inbox/messaging function shouldn't be this restricted. It should work more like an e-mail function. Instructors have to be aböe to send ONE message to all students at one and the same time.

pangle
Community Novice

There are so many times I need to send a message to everybody. For instance, I often send messages about opportunities - job fairs, etc. - that get more attention in emails than in announcements. And today I want to email everybody about what to do if they have traveled to a "level 3" COVID-19 country over spring break and need to self-quarantine.

erika_malmkvist
Community Participant

Right now we really need to be able to reach all our courses since our school is moving into a full digital world due to the Corona situation. And having to send information to more than one course at the same time would save som time. A lot of the information from one teacher with multiple courses are the same. 

richardgc
Community Explorer

@Patricia Angle and @Erika Malmkvist 

I imagine Canvas is super overwhelmed right now, but the fact they have not replied makes me think these forums with ideas is nothing but noise to them and nothing will happen. Basically, an avenue to vent, but not an avenue to affect change.

@canvas_admin ‌ canvas3‌ - any comments you wish to add to debunk my comments?

Regards ~ Rich

sdillon1
Community Novice

I have thought that from the very beginning. The recent updates to the email system cause me nothing but trouble and I cannot find anywhere in this system that anyone requested those changes. The new "favorites" listing takes ~10 minutes to load my course list before I can send an email. NOT an improvement. 

mmcauley
Community Novice

Stephanie, I couldn't agree more. The new "Favorite Courses" option is a frustrating waste of time. We're going backward here, not forward. 

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Stephanie,

I'm trying to duplicate the experience you have so I can give feedback to our product time.  In the inbox my course favorites list loads quickly but I only have 18 courses.  I noticed that you have 624.  May I masquerade as you do I can document the experience?

sdillon1
Community Novice

Yes please.

Stephanie