cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email (message) multiple classes at one time

Email (message) multiple classes at one time

(99)
Instructors often want, or are asked, to share news and information of importance to all our classes.  Currently, that means copying and pasting that information into anywhere from 2-5 different classes.  Given that there is a drop down box for choosing a class to message currently, adding the ability to select multiple classes seems like it would be an easy "fix".  Please add this capability ASAP.
149 Comments
lisa_clayton

Ugh this is all so frustrating. I searched this topic, saw that the votes were still open in this thread (?) so I voted and posted and presumed this was a current poll (that's my fault for assuming - I do appreciate the heads up).

I give up - no more time for this today. They don't want us to have this for some reason (even though there are 950+ up votes now and most of us have used other LMS platforms in the past that allow multiple messaging). I'm going back to the drudgery of sending 5 separate message every time and focusing on helping my students rather than trying to make a change that apparently has been requested over and over since at least 2016 with no resolution. 

sdillon1

I have commented multiple times on this issue with little to no response. Canvas does make changes to the program quite frequently but the majority of the changes that I have seen in the ~2 years I have had to use the system are the type that programmers think are cool not those that actually help faculty. For instance the most recent changes to the gradebook and email app. In the first I lost the ability to get averages for my exam columns or any other assignment that was not grade generated in Canvas or the new "favorites" app which means I have to wait 5-10 minutes for my email list to load. THANKS Canvas for the "improvements"? Is my sarcasm clear enough? I have 80+ sections of labs and even cohorted by meeting times this means I have 25 cohorts to email every time I need to let students know about a change. In this current crisis this means LOTS of extra time sending repetitive emails to each. And with the new "favorites" list this slows me down even more. I would like to see Canvas stop making changes based on what they think we want and start working on those items that would really help. 

egerig

All right, it's 2020 and this feature is still not available.  Is there anything else we can do to move this along?

mrpannell

Hi Kona,

Thanks for that info. I have a question that is similar to this discussion. We now have the option to select a course under Favorite or More courses when sending a conversation. Does anyone find the functionality delayed or slow? Many faculty are complaining because the UI usually takes more time or never works. 

Any ideas?

mrpannell

Hi,

I just posted a response to Kona about this issue. It's extremely frustrating for faculty to send emails to their students. The new UI isn't faculty friendly. I wonder if Canvas is aware of this issue. 

rungun_nathan

Sorry to say this - but canvas is very slow in implementing features requested by users.  It goes into the voting and stays there cooking till it is done (and this can be a loooooooooong time)

brogund

Hi All, I'm new to this process. When does the voting closes or is there a threshold number to trigger this development?  My institution just adopted Canvas, and I don't want to cross-link my three sections.  Yet, yes, of course, I would love to email my sections at once without indulging in the copy-pasta dish all the time.

dlyons
Instructure
Instructure

Voting on feature ideas is one of the ways Instructure collects input on which features to prioritize, but it's not the only factor. 

May I ask why you don't want to cross-list your three sections? When I've taught multiples of the same section I found cross-listing to be super valuable above and beyond even just messaging all my sections more easily.

Also I appreciate that you want to save your copy-pasta for memes. 😉

brogund

David,

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I would like to keep my sections separately since I don't want to end up generating too many  Discussion forum teams.  Please, let me know whether there is a way to facilitate a discussion forum with a specific section, out of the three (in my example) without forming teams?

Thanks,

Dim

dlyons
Instructure
Instructure

You wouldn't be able to do it without forming groups, but since groups can be automatically created and restricted to section enrollment I would still find it less work to manage than three entirely-separate-but-largely-duplicate courses, personally. Example in the screenshots below:

groups by section

group discussion settings

group discussion links

Missie_Meeks086
Community Participant

When will Canvas bring this feature back? Being able to message all of my classes at one time was a huge plus that Canvas gave, and then Canvas took it away 😞  

MusicMarm
Community Member

This would make life so much easier! Thank you!

ccollins2

Why not implement this? It would save an immense amount of time!

lwolfe3

I would absolutely love it if I could type one email to ALL of my students in ALL classes at one time instead of having to send to all students in each class.  Maybe a drop down menu for multiple classes to email all students?  It would be a huge time saver!!!!  Please!!!

lhill6

I agree that the ability to send email to several courses and/or sections within courses at once would be very helpful.

mshorrell

Please!!! I am the head director of a large orchestra program and we have 6 orchestra classes plus 2 sections of guitar- whenever we have announcements for the whole program, it's such a pain to send email. I know people have been asking for this feature for a long time, seems like a no-brainer! Thanks 🙂

cefitch

It would be helpful for mass emailing of students, if I can add students from different Canvas courses to 1 email. Currently, I'm copying an email and submitting it four times for each course.  For example, when I send an email to absent students on a given day, rather than sending 4 emails, I'd like to send 1 email and add all the students who were absent on that day no matter what Canvas course they are in.

Thanks for your consideration.

trafoos

Instructors can use the Canvas Conversation Inbox tool to send messages to the entire class, or just to create message threads between the instructor and one or more students.. When an instructor creates and sends an Canvas Inbox message, an email notification is sent to default email specified in the recipient’s notification settings. The recipient can see the entire message content and reply

CristiC

I want to email all my students in all of my courses. I wish there was an easy way to do it instead of posting the same message 17 times.

frazies

Please allow us to click on multiple classes when emailing. This will allow us to write 1 message to all our students.