Embed Object button in Rich Content Editor

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I believe TinyMCE has an "iFrame" button that allows you to drop in compatible embed code from any website that serves embeddable content.  This solves the problem of forcing luddites to use the View HTML mode.  Youtube is great, but there are a lot of other great sites (e.g. libraries, museums, universities, video collections, Tackk, bulbapp, etc..) that provide embed codes, but Canvas has no easy way of dropping that in the WYSIWYG.  TinyMCE has the functionality for sure.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12064 

15 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

jamely
Community Champion

This would be especially helpful if it had the width and height boxes like embedding a photo does! Embedding Google Apps is fairly easy, but this addition could take out a step of complexity for those who have not been exposed to web code.

blee
Community Explorer

I agree, and just make it easier on the fly to insert relatively simple embed codes.

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I was just looking at the Tiny MCE 4.2 upgrade and didn't see any INSERT HTML options there. I've asked our awesome engineers to look for alternative approaches that would work well with Tiny. I'll comment on this thread when I hear back!

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Thanks again, Allison!

I seem to be following you through Jive this morning.

KLM

khirschmann1
Community Novice

I just checked and it is in the Media plugin. https://www.tinymce.com/docs/plugins/media/

In this demo (TinyMCE | Full Featured Example ) if you click on the Insert/Edit Video icon, there is a tab for embed code.

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Quick update. We are looking into a few tech options on this. Engineers will be doing some research to see what is the best option. Stay tuned:)

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

The engineers have spent some time researching possible solutions. There are a few "quick and dirty" options out there but none that we felt fully confident in. As the team wraps up the RCS project, we will dig into this more. However, we archiving it at this time since we know it wont get the love in the next 6 months.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I just learned that it's possible to embed the HTML code for a video directly from the Rich Content Editor without having to switch views to the HTML Editor. For a writeup of that, please refer to https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2017/06/21/alternate-way-to-embed-code-for-vid...