Embed or otherwise set the Course Calendar on the Homepage

0 Likes

I wish there was a way to add a work-able calendar to the homepage of a course that the students could click on to take them to all of the assignments, quizzes, pages, surveys, etc. for each day. I have tried using the work around provided by other Canvas users using an iframe, but if the students click on the iframe, it does not open it in a new window. It opens inside the tiny iframe. I have also tried using the Syllabus, but sometimes not everything will show up in the syllabus or on the calendar. It seems that Canvas has set only certain things to show up on these places. It is better than nothing, but, when we have students working from home the calendar format is really the easiest thing for them to understand in junior high. I have tried lots of ways of organizing and they just don't get it.

Even if we can get an embed code that will allow the calendar to be added to a home page or the syllabus page that the students could click on without it opening in a tiny iframe, that would be great.

Tags (3)
4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @tlanderson -

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this. However, because of the way the Canvas Calendar is built, I wonder if this addition would feel redundant.

When I access a page as a student, I see:

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 1.36.22 PM.png

The students have single-click access to their course calendar for your home page. That means you can use your home page as a place for announcements, quick links to resources, or an engaging and exciting/themed digital bulletin board. A single-click button on your home page (with a picture!) could catch students in a second way if you're worried about your middle school students not finding their way.

If your students use the Canvas Student app, their experience is a little different. Let the Community know if that's the case.

I look forward to collaborating with you!

tlanderson
Community Explorer

I get that there is a button there, and like I said I have just started using the syllabus, so this is new to me this semester. But, I have students that can't read on grade level in jr. high and the majority of my students don't speak English as their first language. They don't know that the button says "View Course Calendar," or they don't know to look for it. But, they can recognize the calendar and figure out what to click on when they see it on the screen. It just seems like being able to have the actual course calendar on the screen of the syllabus would be really helpful for them. Once I get them back in person, it will be a bit easier to be able to train them where to click. But, it is hard when we just had to start the new semester on distance learning.

I am liking the syllabus setup more than a regular page. I like that it shows things at the bottom of the screen, and I like the ability to post things on the top like you can on a page. I just wish there was also a full sized calendar at the very top of the page for the course, too.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived