Emphasize or Highlight student's name when entering grades

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

When you click in a cell to place a grade, highlight or visually emphasize in some other way the student name with which the current row is associated, to make it easier to ensure you are on the right student when scrolled out to a column on the right.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

For additional information about the New Gradebook, please visit New Gradebook Users Group and the Canvas Release: New Gradebook document.

23 Comments
cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey Everyone!

We have designs for an updated gradebook that include what I call the "Cross hairs". It highlights the row and column that you've clicked on. I can't say for sure when we'll be releasing this group of gradebook enhancements, but its in our plan to work on this year. I'm moving this to "Under Consideration" because it's something we definitely intend to do as soon as we can.

Thanks!

watsonnk
Community Participant

Very good news, would be a useful addition and reduce likelihood of misentering of grades (not that this removes the idea to have a proper gradebook history).

knakamatsu
Community Novice

It would be very helpful to have the row highlighted so you know you're entering grades for the correct student.  On screen, the grades are not aligned with the student's names so it makes it difficult to assess whether you're on the right student.  A highlighted bar would clear that up for sure! 

kmeeusen
Community Champion

While I favor and up-voted this idea, it is just one of the many reasons why I enter all grades using SpeedGrader.

KLM

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

bimbip
Community Participant

What is the status of the "Cross Hairs" enhancement Christi noted in response to this idea? That is primarily what I am looking for and why I am up-voting this idea.

Community Novice

This idea seems to be quite old but the status hasn't been updated in awhile.  Are we still making progress on it?  I HATE that I have to keep double checking to make sure I'm on the correct student when entering grades!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@9936299 , you'll find information about the status of this feature--and more--in Priority: Gradebook Enhancements (Develop & Test). "Crosshairs and highlighting for orientation." is listed as part of Phase II. I encourage you to "follow" that link to your inbox to stay on top of development progress.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Comments from Instructure

This idea is in development as part of Priority: Gradebook Enhancements‌ phase 1.

Some of the phase 1 features are available for testing via the Focus Group: New Gradebook‌.  If you do not have access you can request it through your local Canvas admin or CSM (customer success manager).

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-11-06) .

For additional information about the New Gradebook, please visit New Gradebook Users Group and the Canvas Release: New Gradebook document.