Emphasize or Highlight student's name when entering grades

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

When you click in a cell to place a grade, highlight or visually emphasize in some other way the student name with which the current row is associated, to make it easier to ensure you are on the right student when scrolled out to a column on the right.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

For additional information about the New Gradebook, please visit New Gradebook Users Group and the Canvas Release: New Gradebook document.

23 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello  @esther_jean-lou ​ and thanks for sharing your suggestion here. You may be interested in the discussion over here Canvas Studio: Gradebook performance ​about the updates we are already planning to make to the gradebook. I'm not sure if the new UI optimizations will include exactly what you are looking for, but the new design may help.

I'm going to clarify the title of your feature idea from "Making thing easier when entering grades" to "Emphasize a student's name when entering grades" as well.

Your feature idea will go for voting on Oct. 7th.

chase1
Community Member

Hello,

Suddenly, Canvas is listing students with first name first rather than last names first. This makes looking up a student to post a grade much more time consuming because you have to mentally switch the names each time. How can I get the last names first back again?

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community from Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2015.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

But please check out this idea, as well:

clong
Community Champion

Would it be possible to combine this idea with one that has a few more votes and is essential getting at the same thing? See:

jstaley
Community Participant

This would help both teachers and the Admins who get the calls when teachers are confused about how a grade was moved or sure the "computer" changed the grade they entered. Smiley Happy

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

FYI  @Renee_Carney ​. Thanks for the feedback  @clong ​. We've linked these two ideas to each other and we'll be sure to follow both ideas. Smiley Happy

clong
Community Champion

Thanks Biray

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I feel it would be important that the highlighting not cause a delay during the transition between cells.

jstaley
Community Participant

There is another request currently with 111 votes at:   can we add these two together?

watsonnk
Community Participant

Two ways of achieving similar functionality, either would be useful.  Good luck!