[Notifications] Enable/Disable Notifications for Select Courses and Sub-accounts at Admin Level

Currently, notifications are controlled at the user level and defaulted to on. For some of our programs (sub-accounts) in Canvas, the notifications cause more problems and confusion among our students than help. I would like to suggest that all notifications can be disabled/enabled at the Admin level for select courses and sub-accounts.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@christopher_ma5  As you've noted, notification preferences are attached to and managed by users. Canvas doesn't have currently have any settings that allow disabling notifications for a particular course or sub-account. We have several ideas requesting the ability to set defaults by role:

Default notification settings profiles by user rol...

Customize default settings for notifications / hid...

Would one of these, if implemented, address the problem statement in the idea description? If not, would you confirm that you are requesting a new set of functions at the admin level to manage notifications from specific courses and sub-accounts?

christopher_ma5
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired Enabling/disabling notifications by role would be too limiting for our situation. Students and instructors are imported by our API in their default respective roles. I think we would require an extension of this potential feature, as we need the ability to control notifications for all students within a specific sub-account or course. We would still need students in other courses and sub-accounts to receive notifications as usual. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Thanks for the quick reply, @christopher_ma5 . We've moved the conversation forward for broader discussion.

MichaelBould
Community Participant

I was looking for something similar, we have some dedicated Sub-Accounts for all staff training, it would be useful to turn notifications off for these sub-accounts, but allow people in there to get notifications from other Sub-accounts.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme