[External Tools] Enable Turnitin for Discussion Posts

Greetings:

Thank you for your time in reviewing this idea.

It would be wonderful if Turnitin were enabled for Discussions posts and responses.

This would prevent students from cobbling together information from online sources to write original discussion posts.  It would be optimal if the Turnitin feature worked like the one provided for assignment submissions, so that students and faculty can see the percentage of match, etc.  This would be another great tool for helping students understand the importance of originality and avoiding plagiarism.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

100 Comments
dhulsey
Community Champion

@angela_holland ‌, if you have access to Turnitin, you can log into their website and use their quick submit feature. I copy and paste the entire discussion board to scan in Turnitin. I hope that helps!

Jeff_F
Community Champion

^^^  Same here. A trick I use is to click with the mouse at the bottom of the board and drag up to select all the responses at once.  Then a little Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V action to paste the text into a Word file that I upload to an assignment within Turnitin.com.

annamarie_piers
Community Novice

So well laid out - this is very frustrating. Discussions, short essays and essays on quizzes - especially if we are doing the quiz online on Canvas should be supported with Turn It In. Two years is too long. 

ryanre
Community Novice

Yes, please! I am dying to use a feature like this. Have had plagiarism throughout discussions which have made me want to stop using the feature.

meghan_roddy
Community Novice

Long overdue.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

jounjianauque62
Community Explorer

Do you need to have a private (paid) Turnitin account to do this?  

jounjianauque62
Community Explorer

WHY ARE WE STILL WAITING FOR THIS????  you would think academic integrity it would take priority over color-coded rubrics and fancy grade book settings....

Jeff_F
Community Champion

This can be done so long as the institution provides access to Turnitin within Canvas.  

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I am not waiting - instead use a work around as noted above.