[External Tools] Enable Turnitin for Discussion Posts

Greetings:

Thank you for your time in reviewing this idea.

It would be wonderful if Turnitin were enabled for Discussions posts and responses.

This would prevent students from cobbling together information from online sources to write original discussion posts.  It would be optimal if the Turnitin feature worked like the one provided for assignment submissions, so that students and faculty can see the percentage of match, etc.  This would be another great tool for helping students understand the importance of originality and avoiding plagiarism.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

100 Comments
dcrice
Community Member

Greetings!

Let's continue to really around the need for a Turnitin interface in the Discussion platform. My faculty are growing weary of having to submit student posts to Turnitn. Surely, there is way for this to be accomplished without those extra time-consuming steps.

Would you let me know if a process is underway to achieve a more efficient plagiarism assessment?

Thanks Much!

Dr. Dwight C. Rice

Department Chair of Community Care & Counseling

Liberty University

DavidHirschman
Community Novice

Turnitin for discussions is essential.  Multiple students participating in discussions make copying and pasting individual posts and replies cumbersome and time-consuming.  Certainly there must be a way to have Turnitin interface with discussions.

Thank you

hbrown5018
Community Participant

Instructure - Canvas - now is the time to incorporate Turnitin for use in discussions. This has been an 'idea' since 2016!!!! If the Harmonize Discussion Platform can make Turnitin work for their discussions, surely Instructure can as well. 

Turnitin is paramount to the integrity of student's work that is submitted- we need a plagiarism checker in place. 

mcordes1
Community Participant

Enabling Turnitin for Discussions and Essay Questions in Quizzes would be a phenomenal addition. 

BP8790
Community Explorer

I would LOVE it if Canvas enabled a similarity or plagiarism checker for Discussion boards. I could search for specific phrases in the discussion board, but that is cumbersome and isn't feasible for large online courses.

Is there a plagiarism checker in development?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

mitch61
Community Member
Problem statement:

There is no option for web search of entries for Discussion Boards. It would be helpful if Turnitin was an option for discussion boards.

Proposed solution:

Make Turnitin an option for discussion boards.

User role(s):

instructor

mram5516
Community Member
Problem statement:

Hello Canvas Community, I noticed that the request for Turnitin inside discussions has been around since 2016. Turnitin has informed us that the LTI update is at a point that requires Instructure's support to complete and enable. Can you please provide us with the status of the implementation?

Proposed solution:

Please collaborate with Turnitin to get this completed.

User role(s):

admin