Enable the Canvas "google Drive" link to be able to link to documents inside Google Shared Drives

0 Likes
(1)

Right now when we click on Google Drive to access Google Drive and insert files into a course, it only allows us to access our personal Google Drives.

We cannot access any resources residing in a Google Shared Drive through this tool.

It would be very handy if this behaviour could be changed.

4 Comments
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @BrianWynder,

Just to clarify, are you hoping to access your shared google drive course files within your course's Google Drive application or in a separate instance of Google Drive (outside of Canvas)? 

Naomi

BrianWynder
Community Member
Author

When we click the "Google Drive" link from within our Canvas course, we would want to be able to access the Shared Drives, not just our My Drive.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing this idea, @BrianWynder . Enhancements to the Google Drive functionality would need to be developed by Google. Please reach out to your school's Google representative to make the request. You can also find contact links for Google on their partner page:  Partner Listing: Google Assignments.

kbink
Community Contributor

You can search for something that is in a shared drive, and the assignment will fully set up.  However what happens next is that when the student clicks to load in a new tool, all you get is a spinning blue wheel in the new tab, and the copy of the assignment is never generated in the student's drive.  I've tried this with a document in a shared drive with its share settings to anyone with the link and I've also tried it with a document that was published to the web. (and both together).