Enable the Student Annotation assignment type in the Student App

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I LOVE the new option for student annotation on assignments.  Thank you.  Our district has a large number of iPads for our elementary students, however, and that feature is not active in the student app where most of our elementary students work.  Please consider adding the annotation functionality to the student app sooner rather than later.  Our teachers will love this new feature.

25 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

One more question for you, @NicholeDirks - What assignment submission type are you using? File Uploads are best for annotating on a tablet. Annotations is currently not supported by the app.

NicholeDirks
Community Member

@KristinL  - I am using PDFs of worksheets and quizzes.  Unfortunately, file uploads is not an option. I teach 6 year olds. Having them download a file, write on the PDF, and then upload the file for submission would take all day for just 1 file. Literally.

Why can't Kami be enabled until Student Annotations are more primary student friendly? I loved using it, it was easy for my students to use (no downloading/uploading), and parents could access the quizzes to see how their child did. I would like to use Student Annotation, but it's just not user friendly for primary age students. Canvas should offer another option for us to use. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi again! It looks like some of the things that you are running into may be related to a documented issue

In the meantime, the File Uploads option, especially with the Canvas Student app is very user-friendly. There is not a requirement to download the file before being able to write on it! Additionally, when it's time to submit, Canvas Student will remember where it goes - no reading required. 

How do I submit a PDF assignment with annotations in the Student app on my iOS device? 

alexismdelarm
Community Member

I LOVE the new Student Annotation feature but I find that it limits how it can be used because of the following:

1) It does not adapt well on the app.

2) There is not way to save without submitting so work can be lost or multiple submission show up in speed grader. 

I would definitely utilize it more if these features were included!

meaganlopez
Community Member

Agreed! A "Save but don't submit" would be invaluable for those lessons that kids need to finish after class time is over.

d1660114
Community Member

The new Student Annotation feature is a great idea, but I find that it limits how students/teachers can use it because of the following:

1) It does not adapt well to the app.

2) There is no way to save without submitting; thus, work can be lost, or multiple submissions show up in speed grader. 

I would definitely utilize it more if Canvas included these features!

kcounce1
Community Explorer

This new student annotation feature does not work on iPads - especially without the Apple Pencil. A fix needs to be made so that students and teachers can easily use this awesome new tool!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: In Development

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

The Student Annotation submission type is supported in the Canvas app. This change provides consistency between the web and mobile app versions of Canvas and allows students to complete student annotation submissions using a mobile device.

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Student Release Notes (Android 6.15).

chadscott
Community Contributor

@Stef_retired this is great news for Android, but what about iOS app support? I understand if teachers include a link to the PDF, it is doable, but we shouldn't need two separate workflows for different devices.