[Reports] Enhanced LTI Report

Hello, I would like to request an enhancement to the LTI report based on the archived idea Report for LTIs (External Apps) Usage and a concern that account-level LTI configurations are not being reported by course. For example, we have configured many partner apps at the account-level because of high demand/use needs; however, the LTI report only shows them tied to the account. Here's a report filtered on Cengage, Macmillan, and McGraw Hill to use as examples for no listing of courses where deployed:

207429_Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 3.41.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-02 at 3.41.11 PM.png

The report would be more useful if it also showed the courses that they are deployed in. This means we can then view total use of LTI to see which are being used, or not being used, and to then have a course count per term. Right now there is no way to identify courses where various LTIs have been deployed.

Thank you!

Shane

54 Comments
cward
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

It does, there's a sample Tableau workbook that shows how this can be done here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8121 !

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@shane_ohara ‌

Does this solution  meet your needs?  Curious if this idea should be marked as complete or not?  Thanks.

shane_ohara
Community Champion

@Renee_Carney ‌ - I am going to say no with the disclaimer that I've not yet had time to pull down the data. On top of that, we don't use Redshift so I would have to tailor what Chris shared to work. It would be easier if the report just gave it to all admins. This way none of us had to go to this length when a quick report is needed. I am sure there are schools out there unable to even attempt the data pull. Thanks for asking.

Shane

Liko
Community Participant

I believe placement information for LTI in either the Account or Sub-account level should be a part of the standard report. Many of us do not have the resources to utilize Canvas Data at the present time. However, as a Canvas Admin, it seems pertinent to track LTI use--particularly publisher LTI usage.

Today, I wanted to find out how many courses currently use Roll Call (Attendance) should any of our instructors desire to add the aspiredu at $1 per FTE. Without using Canvas Data, I cannot let our administration know the potential cost.

Thank you for considering this feature request.

--Liko

fosterl
Community Contributor

@shane_ohara ‌, good thing you called folks out, it looks like most of them were bitten by the bug making their "up" votes be counted as "down" votes! We still need this, since the Canvas Data still doesn't have the external_tool_tag_attributes field which would contain the URL for the tool.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
shane_ohara
Community Champion

A report from Canvas would be MUCH easier! Smiley Happy

mlewis23
Community Champion

The CanvasData external_tool_activation tables are doing just that, showing activation which is the same as the LTI Report. 

Note that the report is defined as showing "LTI usage information". This is incorrect or misleading at best information. Canvas should at a minimum edit this report definition. The CanvasData table title more accurately reflects the data, it is activation information not usage.

mlewis23
Community Champion

I haven't run the linked py script yet, but running a script to scrub the api for all tabs, modules, and assignments in all courses in all terms is clearly not a good long term solution.

Kudos however to  @nardell  for figuring out all of those loops!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.