[Enrollments] Enroll users after course end date has passed

0 Likes
(4)

Currently once the end date of a course passes, it is no longer possible to add users to that Canvas space. It would be useful if we could add users, particularly users with an elevated role (guest lecturers, course designers, etc) who do not otherwise have to abide by the course availability dates.

5 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

jwadec
Community Contributor

A thousand times, yes!

GGummess
Community Participant

I agree.  A department chair wants access to a course that has ended to retrieve material that is otherwise not available in my situation.  

I should be able to add a person as an admin.

Glen

reynlds
Community Coach
Community Coach
Problem statement:

Add enrollments to a course that is beyond its course/term date(s) and/or closed/concluded.

Proposed solution:

Quite often we get support requests to add additional teachers to past courses. This is done in order to easily share course content, assign additional teaching resources, review past courses, replace retiring teachers, etc. Unfortunately the teachers cannot do this themselves as the courses are beyond course/term dates and concluded/closed. The only way to perform this task is to create an SIS upload csv containing the enrollment(s) and push it up to Canvas by an Admin. This causes an unnecessary delay to the end users. I propose adding an account option in the account settings GUI that would be a simple checkbox to "Allow enrollment adds outside of course/term dates". This would resolve the issue of Teacher self-help and could be parsed per sub-account for any units/departments that want to allow or prevent it. A similar option could be added to the enrollments API endpoint as a boolean: "enrollments[force_add_to_closed_course]=True". We could easily roll this into our Canvas management process as not requiring GUI access will save Admins a TON of time!

User role(s):

admin,instructor

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.