Epub : module text headers and indented content

0 Likes

heading text should show as a heading in the epub, and indented content should show as sub points (eg 1.1, or a etc). 

Currently when downloading an epub of a course if there are heading text in the modules it comes up as " is not currently supported" rather then the text displayed as a heading, and items in a module all show as the same level on the ordered list, rather then replicating the structure shown with the indentation in the course site.

6 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @Renee_Denham - Have you reached out to Support with this inquiry? I wonder if the epub is being created correctly. If you connect with them, let the Community know what you learn!How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor? 

Renee_Denham
Community Member

@KristinL  I've submitted a support inquiry just now (as I completed further testing), with the following:

I've been testing ePub generations to see how they behave as I am hopeful that we will be able to promote these extensively to students, but I've noticed a few things that significantly decrease the viability of this (note I've tested in a chrome browser based epub reader extension, and with calibre)

1) Currently when downloading an epub of a course if there are heading text in the modules it comes up as " is not currently supported" rather then the text displayed as a heading

2) items in a module all show as the same level in an ordered list, rather then replicating the structure shown with the indentation in the course site.

3) when a studio video is embedded within the content the ePub just shows a error box with "it may have been moved or deleted" - I had expected a link to the embedded content swapped in automatically. Ideally that would be the default but if there was also a way to override that and provide "replacement" text for epub that would allow for providing more detailed instructions etc to suit that medium that would be desirable.

4) when external content is embedded in an iframe (video from Echo360 in this case) it shows an empty box (no error message or copy of the link)

5) when a link to a file within Files is included, in SOME cases, it swaps out for a message "File FILENAME could not be included in the ePub document. Please see separate zip file for access.", but if there are multiple links in a row, the first is swapped out, and the remainder become a link that is a broken link.

I also have a suggestion around these ones, would it be possible (or is there currently a way) to add styling to the replacement link text automatically that ONLY is for the epub download to highlight that message? (ie that they need to look at the seperate zip of files)

I will report back when I receive a response.

Kind Regards,

Renee

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @Renee_Denham -

How are you doing? I wanted to take a moment to check-in! Were you able to collaborate with Support? If so, what did you learn?

Based on what you are able to share, we'll determine the next-steps for this thread.

Renee_Denham
Community Member

I haven't seen anything back yet - is there a specific email address their communications would come from? I could see if it got caught in my junk mail.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @Renee_Denham - Correspondance should come from 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi @Renee_Denham -

I was able to confirm that you opened two cases with Support. Unfortunately, they were closed. I'm sure that happened because you didn't see them arrive in your inbox, as you described above.

Because this is not a request to update a feature, this thread will be Archived. However, if you have ongoing challenges with the ePub documents, please reopen a case or initiate a new one with Support. They'll be happy to help you, and they'll be able to see your history with your questions.